Home Adobe Substance

SD Negative displacement for ground tile grout is there a node for this?

pixelquaternion
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
pixelquaternion polycounter lvl 6
Hi Guy's,

I want to have another displacement map to deform the tile grout so it push some of the ground lower than tile and some higher.

It's seem like the ground(black part in the displacement map)is always flat at a certain point.

Maybe someone can point me out if i am doing this correctly or even a node i am not aware could do this.

I could do this easily in 3ds max but the point is to use the easy tiling inside substance designer right!

I include pictures of the graph and 3d view:

Here the graph:

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    In Designer height is unsigned so you should treat 0.5 as 0

You can use a histogram range node to compress the range and shift it

This is a pain in the arse if you want to share materials between Painter and designer (just in case anyone from Allegorithmic is listening) 
  • pixelquaternion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe said:
    In Designer height is unsigned so you should treat 0.5 as 0

You can use a histogram range node to compress the range and shift it

This is a pain in the arse if you want to share materials between Painter and designer (just in case anyone from Allegorithmic is listening) 

That is exactly what i am using in the graph and i cannot make it displace downward only upward!
  • pixelquaternion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did some more test but not satisfied yet and will probably be force to do it in 3ds max since i am losing way too much time with this when i could do this in max very easily.

I have tried with level and histogram scan and range but i cannot sink the displacement lower in the ground.

probably impossible to do such thing in substance designer.

Here a few pictures:

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    you cant go below 0 in designer so there is no "downward" displacement as such,  you have to shift everything up so that "0" is represented by 0.5

in this case you need to adjust the bricks so that the lowest value is greater than the highest value in the grout
  • pixelquaternion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is the result i want here

• pixelquaternion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe said:
    you cant go below 0 in designer so there is no "downward" displacement as such,  you have to shift everything up so that "0" is represented by 0.5

in this case you need to adjust the bricks so that the lowest value is greater than the highest value in the grout

Thank for the tip will try it and see if i can fix it.
  • pixelquaternion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was able to fix it with your advice but since the tile were using gradient to make them look uneven now it make them look smooth instead of sharp like they were before adjusting the brick with a level node.

• pixelquaternion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK never mind the problem was the level node so i tried histogram scan range and it's now looking the way i want.