Home Technical Talk

3Ds max, how to random assign mat to objects from mat library...? (terrible max)

Jonathan85
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Jonathan85 polycounter lvl 9
Hi
3ds max 2012. Im using Neil Blevins script "Material mover" to distribute materials (around 60-190(?)) randomly to hundreds of objects in 3ds max.
I have been using it for years but only using the material editor (max 24 materials) to objects. But currently i have encountered quite a big problem, and im not sure who is a retard- me- Or 3ds max lacking some basic features...?

I have few material libraries saved with dozens of different materials in each. (much more than the 24 slots available in material editor). I open one mat library and want to move the materials in it randomly to selected objects in 3ds max using the neil blevins script "material mover". The problem is that this script and general 3ds max somehow doesnt see (or to be precise- doesnt allow me to "manipulate" with)  the materials in the opened material libraries...

The only materials the script sees and can manipulate are materials placed in the  the "Temporary library" (which creates itself when you press button in material editor  called "Put in Library"...). I can simply only use/move etc. the materials in the "Temporary mat library"...  Im unable to effectively move materials between any saved and opened mat. library and that stupid "temporary library" (which is the only one the neil blevins script can work with). I can only right click on EACH one of the dozens and dozens materials, click on "Copy to" and click on "To temp. library"... ONE by one (in the year 2018)... It seems i cannot select multiple materials and copy them in batch from one library to the temp one... (or any other mat library for that matter)

My question is - am i dumb or 3ds max (tried 2015 and 2012) doesnt allow moving multiple materials between libraries at once...?

Replies