Home Technical Talk

Hunt Fishing Houses, techniques?

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Gazu polycounter lvl 12
Hey,

so in the last time im playing a lot of Hunt.
I like this game. But everytime i play it, im asking myself how they have made the fishing houses.
There are a lot of Wood Panels, and every Panel looks unique(almost every...), there are no flat textures, everything is geo.

Well i thought about the following techniques:

They made maybe 5-10 different Panels on one UV Map. So that every Panel has his own unique space.
And in the 3d package, they placed every panel per Hand until a whole house is finished. 10 different panels can give a lot of variation by rotating them.

But at the end i always came out with at least 3 different materials. One for the panels. One for the roof and one for the windows, doors and carriers.
With interior even more...

2. They made whole sides as unique bakes (with windows and doors). Lets think about a simple house with a front side, a back side, a left side and a right side.
Every side is his own unique "prop" and in the engine they just made an composition out of it.

What do you guys think how they made it?
Or what would be the best way to do it to keep the frames high?

Thanks,
Gazu

Replies

• IxenonI
    Offline / Send Message
    IxenonI interpolator
    They are most likely using a blend Material. One tiling wood texture that is painted (white) and unpainted (brown / grey). You then use vertex colors on the mesh to specify what parts are painted and which ones are unpainted and blend between the two.
  • Gazu
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    Mh Thanks Simon!
    Well when i try to blend between two Textures, for example on a terrain, the transitions between those two materials are very soft. So how they achieve the crispy look on the white paint itself? For me it looks like the use of smart masks in Painter. And do you think the panels are baked to give them the highpoly look ? I think they look pretty low, there are no highpoly normals hovering the low geo. (i think)
  • IxenonI
    Offline / Send Message
    IxenonI interpolator
    In addition to Vertex colors they use an alpha mask to blend between the two to give it the weathered look. Panels most likely aren`t individually baked but are just using a tiling texture.

You can read more about this here:
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/MultiTexture
  • Gazu
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks Simon i will throw a look on it!
  • Klaus Hustle
    Offline / Send Message
    Klaus Hustle polycounter lvl 8
    I'm definitely part of the Hunt Appreciation Club. I wanted to build my own little swampy Lousianna town now for a while, as soon as i saw this game i knew i would just play it to make screenshots and trying my own take on it.

I'm just curious how they researched all this Architecture, i know it's nothing crazy, but a bit specific with the swamp-aspect to it.. i tried to research it but all i find are very low-res pictures on pinterest that are just giving little hints.. I'm making some stuff up as i try to make my own buildings in that style, i'm pretty confident that's how they went with some stuff.

Sorry for being a bit off-topic tho ;)
  • Gazu
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    Lol, same here. I actually can´t find good references for this kind of houses. I would like to know how they´re build from scratch in reallife.
    How much carriers? How are the carriers aligned? And so on....very hard to find actually :(
  • Klaus Hustle
    Offline / Send Message
    Klaus Hustle polycounter lvl 8
    This is exactly me lol, i'm crazy about this stuff.. it's so unfulfilling to look at those tiny pinterest pix and assuming 70% of the underlying architecture. Also very interesting how these houses in Hunt are so connected with bridges, and different layers, and in the buildings are actually hints of what the function of the building was.. these little "towns" aren't a thing IRL i guess tho :/ 

By the way, in my research i havn't fount a single house with these fishing nets that are hanging on the outside walls, how dare they making something like that up.
  • IxenonI
    Offline / Send Message
    IxenonI interpolator