Home Technical Talk

3ds max 2019 is this serious?

pixelquaternion
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
pixelquaternion polycounter lvl 6
As a long time user and subscriber i think that now is the time to consider giving blender another chance!

They are so proud of the new features : An advanced wood map(put attention on the word advanced) OSL shading language and a shape boolean! I am mesmerize Autodesk...

Also they develop a plugin to facilitate workflow with unity while totally ignoring UE4!

Autodesk want clearly to do as little possible while still cashing in.

Replies

• JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    I honestly don't understand why no one has cloned this software yet.

There are photoshop clones, game engine clones, word processing clones, but no one can copy 3DS Max/Maya?!?!

Whoever releases 4DS Aztec would be rich.
  • huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    It's the new update model, like in Substance Painter - yearly versions, but 4 quarterly updates per year with new features. Though painter got loads of new procedural maps, 3dsmax gets a wood map..it feels like a joke. Not even the bare minimum.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    the time of big releases are over... you get a constant stream of fixes and updates...

but i agree this release is not a great one...

and you cant clone a 3d software that has grown over 20 years... they tried with modo and its not close in all those years in a lot of areas...

clarisse is an other example... 6 years or more in the making and laking of a lot of main features... great in whats its doing but cant replace max or maya...

to create a new dcc ap from the ground up you need at least 8 years...
  • gandhics
  • pixelquaternion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I must admit that i am probably a bit bias since my expectation for 3ds max was leaning toward game development and they are really doing almost nothing in that department.

What i would have love to see in max is an auto retopo tool like zbrush zremesher, i have Mudbox but the quality is not on par with zremesher.

I work on average 12 to 16 hours daily with this software and others and if i had a 1$ each time it crash on me doing trivial thing then i would be rich!

As an example trying to adjust the gradient ramp sliders is sluggish as hell on 2018 and trying to move them make the lag crash max when this feature is working fine in previous versions.

I can go on for a 100 pages just listing all the majors bugs that never got fix that i encounter on a daily basis not to mention at each update the software take longer to open and often give error message asking license when there is no more license number like for mudbox.
  • pixelquaternion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu said:
    the time of big releases are over... you get a constant stream of fixes and updates...

but i agree this release is not a great one...

and you cant clone a 3d software that has grown over 20 years... they tried with modo and its not close in all those years in a lot of areas...

clarisse is an other example... 6 years or more in the making and laking of a lot of main features... great in whats its doing but cant replace max or maya...

to create a new dcc ap from the ground up you need at least 8 years...
    I miss the good ole days when the 3d tech was getting amazing new features almost on weekly basis for those who remember when 3ds max was develop by Disceet logic these were the days!
  • CompanionCube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CompanionCube polycounter lvl 12
    I must admit that i am probably a bit bias since my expectation for 3ds max was leaning toward game development and they are really doing almost nothing in that department.

What i would have love to see in max is an auto retopo tool like zbrush zremesher, i have Mudbox but the quality is not on par with zremesher.

I work on average 12 to 16 hours daily with this software and others and if i had a 1$ each time it crash on me doing trivial thing then i would be rich!

As an example trying to adjust the gradient ramp sliders is sluggish as hell on 2018 and trying to move them make the lag crash max when this feature is working fine in previous versions.

I can go on for a 100 pages just listing all the majors bugs that never got fix that i encounter on a daily basis not to mention at each update the software take longer to open and often give error message asking license when there is no more license number like for mudbox.
    which version of 2018 are you using?
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    those giant cg apps are like hydras... if you try to cut one head off cause its to buggy and slowing everything down... two more old and buggy heads are growing... they wont die they just grow out of control...
  • CompanionCube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer said:
    It's the new update model, like in Substance Painter - yearly versions, but 4 quarterly updates per year with new features. Though painter got loads of new procedural maps, 3dsmax gets a wood map..it feels like a joke. Not even the bare minimum.
    well no, we got the OSL shaders. you can make what you want and i think it comes with 100 examples maps. if you like substance then there is a substance map plugin actively being developed by allegorithmic so you can load substances quickly in max.
  • pixelquaternion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

2018Update, 20.3
  • CompanionCube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

2018Update, 20.3
    did you try 2018.4?
  • Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    I heard the same shit when Maya 2018 released.  It's alright to get upset that there aren't more shiny things, but it is what it is. Blender's development hasn't been that rapid either but jump ship why not.
  • pixelquaternion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

2018Update, 20.3
    did you try 2018.4?

Nope will give it a try thank!
  • pixelquaternion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 said:
    I heard the same shit when Maya 2018 released.  It's alright to get upset that there aren't more shiny things, but it is what it is. Blender's development hasn't been that rapid either but jump ship why not.
    Hi Axis,

Well i will not be able to do it this year because of my current project but i am slowly familiarizing myself with blender tools to do a progressive switch over a period of 2 to 3 years. The philosophy of autodesk is totally not something i want to be part of for the future.
  • gandhics
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gandhics polycounter lvl 7
    Well..every industry will get their turn.
    There was a lot of  UV work for 2017.
    I have not expereiceed a lot of crash wcwn when we throw 10+mil polyfon and animate.
    Since 3dsMax 2018 has been release, 3dsMax dev fixed more than 500 bugs.
    So... I guess theris a hope.
    Please submit the bug.
  • pixelquaternion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gandhics said:
    I have not expereiceed a lot of crash wcwn when we throw 10+mil polyfon and animate.
    Please submit the bug.

Everytime i crash i submit it to autodesk with detail explanation and i also mention i can repeat it at will and guess what?

Yes it still crash and not fix and i don't believe they care about it at all! I truly miss the good old days of Discreet Logic when 3ds max was in good hands.

The only positive point i can mention about Autodesk support is regarding Mudbox since Jill is doing an amazing job to resolve issues.
  • gandhics
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gandhics said:
    Please submit the bug.

Everytime i crash i submit it to autodesk with detail explanation and i also mention i can repeat it at will and guess what?

Yes it still crash and not fix and i don't believe they care about it at all! I truly miss the good old days of Discreet Logic when 3ds max was in good hands.

The only positive point i can mention about Autodesk support is regarding Mudbox since Jill is doing an amazing job to resolve issues.
    Well.. they do care, and I had a case that the bug had been fixed in a few days after I submit.
    It depends on a bug. Some bug is easy to track. Some of them requresheavy lifting.
    If you don't mind, let me know what it was.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    As a long time user (15 years industry, over 20 total) of all the big name packages I can assure you that they're all a lot better than they used to be.

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    gandhics said:
    If only that had included some high quality UV packing tools. Maya seems to have gotten some real work done on improving its built in packing, but no love there for Max users. I guess there's always ipackthat, but it seems to be abandoned atp.
  • pixelquaternion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gandhics said:
    gandhics said:
    Please submit the bug.

Well.. they do care, and I had a case that the bug had been fixed in a few days after I submit.
    It depends on a bug. Some bug is easy to track. Some of them requresheavy lifting.

I had many but the last one i remember was changing the color of current selection via customize User Interface and instant crash to desktop without trying to save or any error message.
  • Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    gandhics said:
    gandhics said:
    Please submit the bug.

I had many but the last one i remember was changing the color of current selection via customize User Interface and instant crash to desktop without trying to save or any error message.
    That's not unique to Max.
  • gandhics
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz said:
    gandhics said:
    If only that had included some high quality UV packing tools. Maya seems to have gotten some real work done on improving its built in packing, but no love there for Max users. I guess there's always ipackthat, but it seems to be abandoned atp.
    Like this?

3dsMax 2017 has..
    • Dramatic Performance improvements(UV editor was completely re0-written with DIrectX)
    • New Packing Algorithm
    • New Peeling based on ABF(Angle Based Flattening)
    • Point-to-Point Selection Preview
    • Symmetrical Geometry Selection 
    • keyboard Shortcut Match to Mesh Edit for Selection
    • Display Only Selected Polygon in viewport
    • Material ID assignment in the editor
    • and more
  • gandhics
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just tried it. I can not reproduce the issue.
    Our tracker also change this all the time.
    It is only the selection color? or any color setting?-
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    @gandhics Somehow I had no idea they improved the packing with 2017 (I'm still on 2016), but I'm definitely going to have to check that out now. Thanks for the info!
  • pixelquaternion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gandhics said:
    I just tried it. I can not reproduce the issue.
    Our tracker also change this all the time.
    It is only the selection color? or any color setting?-

It is when i try to change the geometry selection color and i notice i can repeat it often(not every single time)when i have a heavy scene and i tried to crash it with a single teapot and i was not capable to crash it at all.

Also when i finally have someone who care about 3ds max issues there is another one that was never fix and there is even a thread on the forum about it but the issue was never resolved from version to version:

When you work with patch in editable patch the show Interior Edges does not work and i think but i am not sure about this one that the last time it was working was in 2012 version.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    max versions still have that uv crash bug. i bet it will never ever get fixed
  • pixelquaternion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz said:
    Agree i have multiple crash when doing various operation in UV window specially when using peel or pelt and repeating the same operation multiple time yield various results.
  • SebastianBielecki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SebastianBielecki polycounter lvl 4
    I already wrote them comment under official announcement on twitter, and they sent me to 3ds max Ideas forum where i can write and vote what i want to see in there. Well, as a industry standard program they should be ahead of me, no? I mean i can drop ideas here and there, but they should be leading. I made some research and at this point Modo and Houdini offer a lot more for game modelers/developers than Max, even free Blender... Also they want shit tons of money for the licence. 2018 version is crushing on me more often than Zbrush.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Max isn't a games industry focused product,  most of their business is in the arch/product viz fields so most of the development effort goes there (catering to your core market is sound business) 

• pixelquaternion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I already wrote them comment under official announcement on twitter, and they sent me to 3ds max Ideas forum where i can write and vote what i want to see in there. Well, as a industry standard program they should be ahead of me, no? I mean i can drop ideas here and there, but they should be leading. I made some research and at this point Modo and Houdini offer a lot more for game modelers/developers than Max, even free Blender... Also they want shit tons of money for the licence. 2018 version is crushing on me more often than Zbrush.

Agree i am also closely looking at Houdini future iterations and once they really match the modeling capacity of max i will gladly switch for 299$ a year you cannot go wrong!
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8
    Modo should have never ventured into territory outside of modeling; beyond modeling all other areas are weak.  Strictly speaking modeling in Modo is it's only strength.
    The Foundry should branch it off as a modeler charge a yearly fee that is reasonable and offer it as an alternative to the full feature modo.
  • gandhics
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz said:
    Which version are you using?
    3dsMax 2018 has a lot of UV fixes.
  • Dash-POWER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dash-POWER polycounter lvl 6
    As @poopipe said, max is created as generic 3D software which can cover mostly every 3D industry. However I really don't know why Autodesk still don't want to go more forward to game industry - there are big money too and the industry is I think much more profitable compared to archviz stuff. I don't want to judge Autodesk but I think they really need to listen game community more because I haven't seen any useful tool since MCG.