Home Marmoset

[Mset Plugin] - SmartBaker :p

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Titus polycounter lvl 14

Marmoset Toolbag 3 - SmartBaker :p

What it does:

- Automaticly creates Bakers and BakerGroups depends from folder hierarchy.

Folder hierarchy reference (must be like this):

<RootFolder>/<BakerName>/<BakerGroupName>/<Files High/Low>

You can configure several Bakers at once and BakerGroups for each Baker.

Mesh filenames suffixes must be:

_High - for High polygon meshes (now only FBX file format)

_Low - for Low polygon meshes (now only FBX file format)

In case of folder hierarchy you can define bakers and groups as many as you need or wish.

Automaticly creates output texture folder. On the same level with <RootFolder>.

How it works:

- Just select root folder and press run button.

In the future i'm going to :

- Create 3dsmax/Blender/Maya scripts for hierarchy generation and objects export. All this scripts will be include into this page(All in One).

- Add Obj file format support.

- And other features.

- Merge between different scenes. 

Many thanks!

Gumroad page: >>>SmartBaker<<<

Replies

• djorzgul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    djorzgul polycounter lvl 7
    Looks like a great little tool.
    A question, will it work with macOS or it's windows only?
  • Titus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Titus polycounter lvl 14
    I have to test. ;)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey this is great to see!

I'm a little confused though, Toolbag can essentially do this out of the box with the quick loader. So I'm wondering if you're unaware of the quick loading functionality or if there was something you found missing from it that prompted you to write this tool?
  • Titus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Titus polycounter lvl 14
    Hey this is great to see!

I'm a little confused though, Toolbag can essentially do this out of the box with the quick loader. So I'm wondering if you're unaware of the quick loading functionality or if there was something you found missing from it that prompted you to write this tool?
    Hi EarthQuake and thank you!
    I'll try to explain, just imagine you have a complex scene to bake more than 5-10 baker groups in marmoset and several bakers (texture sets) to bake and workflow should be flexible if you going to change some of the meshes(high or low).
    So i'll describe what default QuickLoader does and then what SmartBaker does.
    QuickLoad:
    + Loads meshes into baker like baker groups by object name and sort them High/Low
    +/- If you want to add a BakerGroup you have to do it manually after QuickLoad (which is great if you setup everything manually because of more control inside scene.)
    - If you want to put several objects into one BakerGroup you have to add them and  sort them manually
    SmartBaker:
    +/- You have to sort your meshes by folder hierarchy after export (but if you have a tool which exports you meshes into proper folder hierarchy you can avoid this step (i'm working on this for Blender /3dsmax and maybe for Maya) )
    + Two clicks baker(s) setup and you do not need to sort objects 
    + If you need to add a BakerGroup just add a folder on you hard drive and run plugin again or add it manually (because it respects existing structure)
    + Doesn't matter how many object you have for BakerGroup
    + You can keep object(s) name

Small example:
    For a plugin concept explanation -  We have 3 objects could be more objects :)
    Box, Cylinder, and Sphere and both High/Low files:
    Baker 1  is for Texture set 1 and for Box and Cylinder
    Baker 2 is for Texture set 2 and for Sphere only

Explanation screen in case of QuickLoad and SmartBake :

So in case of 3 objects it's more or less useless but in case of complex bakes it's useful.
    Hope i explained. Many thanks.

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just to clarify a few points:

+/- If you want to add a BakerGroup you have to do it manually after QuickLoad (which is great if you setup everything manually because of more control inside scene.)

If you want to add a BakerGroup, generally you would set the meshes and naming up in your 3D app and export again, this way your content matches up with the source which is important if you make changes and reload. This works well even with complex scenes with dozens of unique meshes.

You can add multiple objects to a single BakerGroup by using variant tags, such as Object_High/Low_Variant. As a practical example you can have:

Bullet_high
    Bullet_low_1
    Bullet_low_2
    Bullet_low_3
    Bullet_low_lead1

Etc, all of the meshes will be added to the "Bullet" bake group. You can have multiple high and low objects or a single high and low object per group, and all of that can be set up automatically with the Quick Loader. The Quick Loader naming conventions are outlined here.

Also, with 3.04 we're adding native texture set support within a single Baker object, which is great for AO between objects on different texture sets. Check out the Facebook user group to download the beta: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ToolbagUserGroup/

As I said, It's great that you're developing this, we love to see python plugins! I just don't want to confuse our users as to what Toolbag's native tools are capable of.

• Titus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Titus polycounter lvl 14
    Yep, thanks for feedback i've missed this about file naming and variant tags my fault, sorry for confuse. So i just made a different quick loader ))))) based on folder hierarchy and will keep working on Blender/Max/Maya bridge for toolbag. There is no info in API for quickloader?