Home Technical Talk

Windows 7 ignores my GPU...?

hero character
Offline / Send Message
thomasp hero character
On the off chance that someone here knows how to solve this -

I have a Win7 install that has been trucking along for years now without hiccups. After a recent cold start (previous shutdown was user-initated and showed no errors) the system is now ignoring my GTX 1070. Bringing up the Nvidia control panel makes it either crash or prints a message that I'm not currently using a display attached to an Nvidia GPU.

So: GPU - hasn't changed. BIOS - hasn't changed. Monitors connected to machine - nothing changed either.

I spent a day uninstalling drivers (with that DDU tool from guru3d), trying out different driver versions, trying a spare Nvidia GPU, trying to install drivers for the on-chip Intel GPU of my processor (not working either), applying windows updates, playing with BIOS settings, assuming my mainboard had gone faulty - and then booting into my spare (but woefully outdated) cloned backup disk and voila, everything working as expected over there.

Device manager says error code 19, which reads as

Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. To fix this problem you should uninstall and then reinstall the hardware device. (Code 19)

So I'm up and running again on my spare but I'd really rather sort out this broken install. Looks to me like a configuration error of some sort that might have been caused by a software update or the like. Computer had not been shut down for about three months prior (just put to sleep).