Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Haley Lee

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Haley polycounter lvl 2
Hello! I am currently a game art student working on improving my 3D modeling skills. I am making a game ready model of a sword. So far I have a block out done but plan on finishing the whole model in two weeks. I am new to this so I am looking for as much feedback as I can get.

This is the concept art by JuYoung Ha, found on ArtStation. (https://www.artstation.com/artwork/D12Ne)

Day 1: Here is my 3D block out. To see the wire frame here is my sketchfab link. (https://skfb.ly/6xCQX)

I hope to get lots of feedback. Thank you.

Day 2: Got further along on my block out. I am happy with the progress I have made so far. Next step finish the block out and turn it into a high poly model.

Day 3: finished my highpoly model and have exported it into Zbrush. Time to start sculpting!

Replies

• Haley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haley polycounter lvl 2
    Thank you but the concept art was not done by me only the blockout. :)
  • Haley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haley polycounter lvl 2
    Day 4: finished sculpting the wolf head

• BeanyCoffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeanyCoffee polycounter lvl 4
    Hey this is coming along great! The shape and proportions are overall pretty close to the concept I think. The only piece I see is the part that's hooking up along the hilt on the left is a little too inward or maybe it just needs to taper more at the end, it's not as pointy as the concept. The ribbon is looking a little wiggly, starting to lose it's form (unless it's a tassel? I'm kinda unsure from the concept). Maybe larger, smooth curves would help. Other than that though, it's looking awesome! The detail in the wolf head and the piece underneath, are very well done! Looking forward to seeing more progress :>
  • Haley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haley polycounter lvl 2

Thank you for the encouraging feedback! I see what you mean about the hilt and you are right. For the cloth, I tried to make it like tassels but it isn’t working out very well. So I’ve decided that I am going to use a plane instead and do an alpha map for the cloth and the particles around it.

• Haley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haley polycounter lvl 2
    Day 5: started texturing in substance painter

• Yedp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yedp polycounter lvl 7
    Hello Haley, nice model, you got the shape and details very well!
    To me it feels like the thing attached to the hilt is a bit too "low resolution" compared to the rest of the sword which looks sharp and smooth, I would personally add a few loops between the corners where the direction changes to round the shape more and make it look like it is not a solid piece but really floating in the air. It really depends what kind of material and final use for it though (game with low poly budget? static piece or rigged?).
    I guess you just started working on it so can't judge much, but I have some trouble understanding the blade's material, it looks more matte than metal, I would imagine it is closer to a torched or ionized blade but I am not sure what's your plan for this.

Sorry for my poor English I hope it wasn't too confusing and keep up the good work, that's a cool looking piece!
  • Haley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haley polycounter lvl 2

Thank you @Yedp for the feedback. I agree with you, that part does not look as sharp as the blade. I am not sure if I will be able to go back in and fix it sadly because this is an assignment for a class and it is due soon.  Next model I will try not to compromise the shape for low number of polys. It also will not be going into a game but it will be rendered out so I can add cool effects to it.

Right now I am trying to make it as close to the concept art as possible. Also there is a back piece that will be symmetried over to the front which may help with the floating look. Next time I post I will take more shots from different angels.  

• Haley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haley polycounter lvl 2
    Finished my final game ready model. I had fun doing this project and challenging my self to improve my skills. This project has tough me so much about modeling, texturing and rendering. I cant wait to start working on my next project and applying my improved skills.
    Concept art by JuYoung Ha, found on ArtStation. (https://www.artstation.com/artwork/D12Ne)

My low poly game ready model.

• Haley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haley polycounter lvl 2
    Finished my final game ready model. I had fun doing this project and challenging my self to improve my skills. This project has tough me so much about modeling, texturing and rendering. I cant wait to start working on my next project and applying my improved skills.
    Concept art by JuYoung Ha, found on ArtStation. (https://www.artstation.com/artwork/D12Ne)

• Haley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haley polycounter lvl 2

• Haley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haley polycounter lvl 2
    This is a model I made for a VR game called Full Throttle. I had a really fun time experimenting with marmoset and working on this project. 
    Model: 3ds Max 
    UV: 3ds Max 
    Baking: Substance Painter 
    Textured: Substance Painter 
  • Haley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haley polycounter lvl 2
    Lately I've been working on a student game called Isa's Edda. I am doing the main character and most of environment for the game. I just wanted to share my tree textures because I am super excited with how they turned out! :smile:

• Haley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haley polycounter lvl 2
    Update on my trees! 

• Haley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haley polycounter lvl 2
    Another update on my trees :)

• Haley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haley polycounter lvl 2

My process for the Camaro ZL1

I used CAD data and prepped the vehicle for production (including applying materials). Then I designed the layout for my scene. Next, I build the road and post in RailClone. I also created the lighting using an HDRI and the camera animation. I sculpted and textured the mountain in the foreground, as well as using forest pack for my vegetation. All the trees and bushes up close are hand placed. Then I rendered out of V-Ray. Lastly, I composited in Nuke and put everything together in After Effects.

This summer I had an internship at Pluto (https://hellopluto.com/). I very much so enjoyed every minute of it. I learned so much that my brain hurt sometimes. Everyone at the studio was extremely nice and truly passionate about their work and helping everyone to succeed. I cannot be more grateful for this opportunity. I am looking forward to continuing the relationships I made. Thank you so much, Ian O’Malley (https://www.artstation.com/omalleyian) for teaching me. And Jesse for always showing me cool tricks.