Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Norse themed diorama tavern.

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
RipNic polycounter lvl 13
Hi folks. 

I'm currently working on a personal project and I thought to share some updates and work in progress images.
Nothing is really set in stone but personally I like the style that I have and I am aware that some models might need to be resculpted afterwards.
I am working on this outside my regular job, on my free time and thus puts a limit on how much can be done each time. But I am trying to work as much as possible each day.
Currently it has been roughly a month since I started this project.

C&C are always welcome

The core idea was the following image.[Core Concept] A Norse themed diorama tavern with a comical touch to it and stylized.

---
I began blocking out the shapes 

[Early stage blockout]

----
When I thought that I had the block out phase done I did a quick sculpting test in Z to see what style could be used.
I choose this style, a clean and yet stylized tone to it.
[Early sculpt test]

---
Later on I began updating the base model, This is what I currently have and I am happy with the arrangement.
Some objects are still being used as a blockout model and will be replaced in time.

[Current scene. some block out meshes still occurs and will be updated with time.]

---
These last weeks I have been working with the sculpting phase and I feel that I am near its end, I am still reserved to the idea of going back and re sculpt some assets, but for now I just want to have all the sculpts done so I can get a better overview of that I must fix and re do.

Here is a collection of various sculpts that I have been working with.

Im trying to keep as modular and easy for me as possible. 
That pretty much it for now. Will try to update it on a regular basis.

Cheers :)

Replies

• JamieRead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamieRead greentooth
    Subbed.
    I really like the sculpts you’ve made. Full of character :)
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    So far so good! Keep going!
  • RipNic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for a really late update. Still working on the scene and it has been quite a journey.
    So here is another massive update. The sculpts are completed and baked. Now I can begin texturing the various parts.

There are some objects such as ground, Grass turf and the trees left to be done, Not sure what I will do on those atm, but I will figure out something.

//Cheers :)
    P.s I noticed some baking artifacts and I will Look into it tomorrow.
  • Kanni3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    Wicked sculpts!! Lighting is also sitting well as default lighting, but I assume you'll totally revamp it for a different mood?
  • RipNic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThaKanni3d said:
    Wicked sculpts!! Lighting is also sitting well as default lighting, but I assume you'll totally revamp it for a different mood?
    Yes the lightning was super quickly done in Quixel to have some kind of  work in progress to show. 
    The idea is when I am completely done by all the texturing I will upload the scene to Sketchfab so you can navigate thru the scene.

... Might also add some high Quality renders aswell. 
    But for now it was more a work in progress lightning.,
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    If you wouldn't mind sharing I'd LOVE to see a breakdown of how you go about sculpting your wood details. Specifically how you get your base mesh (what you start with) and what brushes and techniques you use to maintain consistency as well as your approach. 

Thanks in advance!
  • RipNic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you wouldn't mind sharing I'd LOVE to see a breakdown of how you go about sculpting your wood details. Specifically how you get your base mesh (what you start with) and what brushes and techniques you use to maintain consistency as well as your approach. 

Thanks in advance!
    An interesting thought. I will look at it and see what means of breakdown would be best and easiest to do.
  • Fitblood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fitblood polycounter lvl 9
    Those sculpts are tasty. Great style.
  • RipNic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi folks. 
    It has been a bumpy road but I am calling this done now.
    Everything that you see here is created by me.
    Enjoy :)
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    This looks great! Love the style, really well done.
  • Carabiner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carabiner greentooth
    I really love the style here! For next time or later, imo it would make a HUGE difference in presentation if you made a simple rock "island"/plinth like in the diorama examples you linked at the beginning, instead of just a flat plane of grass.
  • RipNic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carabiner said:
    I really love the style here! For next time or later, imo it would make a HUGE difference in presentation if you made a simple rock "island"/plinth like in the diorama examples you linked at the beginning, instead of just a flat plane of grass.
    Thanks. Glad you like it.
    Good point will have that in mind for the next project.
    I am no totally satisfied with the presentation and specially the lightning.

I will do some more tweaks on that part then calling it done. Have to move on at some point :)