Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Critique request - Prakland Character art

HakanKamar_
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
HakanKamar_ polycounter lvl 4
Hello people, I recently finished a piece.

It's a farmer from my friends Prakland universe.
I would really appreciate some feedback!

Here are some renders out of marmoset

Replies

• marsilainen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marsilainen polycounter lvl 6
    Proportions and the weirdo itself are really, really good. Some of the surfaces look slightly plasticy and flat. The hat shading especially could be more bumpy and varied.
  • HakanKamar_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Proportions and the weirdo itself are really, really good. Some of the surfaces look slightly plasticy and flat. The hat shading especially could be more bumpy and varied.
    Great observation man! Thank you for taking the time :)
  • Colton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Colton polycounter lvl 2
    You've got some cool stuff going on, I especially like the feel of some of the skin--there's some good details going on in the high res. The eyes are super flat and plastic feeling. You can check out how they created eyes in this tutorial for Marmoset: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfAx4ucKXPY

Go to 51:45 for the section on eyes. He uses a parallax map to get the effect and personally I wasn't a huge fan of the product, but you might be able to pull some values from high spec/gloss settings in the video. I tend to go the traditional route and make the inner eye concave and outside convex.

On second glance, what you're mostly missing is the dark shadow over the eye. That would bring this guy to life! Try adding a row of polygons over the eyes with the dark shadow coming down from beneath the upper eyelid.

It's a little heavy on this girl, but I removed the fade so you can see the geometry in the bottom picture. Again, awesome work and cool renders! Can't wait to see more :)

• HakanKamar_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Colton Thank you for taking your time to tell me this! Appreciate it!!
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Fantastic. I love it. 

But pastey white bumpkins don't come in hair-less varieties. This dude needs a good layer of man fur!

Also, looks like too much volume loss on the bent arm. For the purpose of a posed render, you could probably just adjust the vertices themselves to save time over weight painting, assuming you made a quick rig and posed him that way.
  • Skinner3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skinner3D polycounter lvl 5
    That hat is sooo odd lol. Looks good overall. The texture on the torso seems a bit heavy.