Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Pmiller VFX Demoo Reel Critiques and criticisms

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
pmiller001 greentooth

Aloha everyone. I havent made a demo reel in over 5 years, so this is exciting. I got into realtime VFX about a month ago, and i love the stuff. It’s so active, and no problem is the same. My brain feels like its always firing off at all cylinders. This is my first demo reel. Please let me know what you think, and how I can improve. Thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYVdP5t2Kp4&feature=youtu.be

Replies

• pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    https://vimeo.com/270020093

Updated my reel! Thoughts?

• BoonS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoonS polycounter lvl 7
    You'll have to excuse my ignorance on the actual process and labor of making VFX (I'm actually kinda interested in learning myself), but I do have some thoughts based on my own observations with in-game VFX.

I think generally speaking, I feel like your assets are burdened by a quality of being too 'automatic' or 'generated,' and I believe a display of more creative intent/flair for each piece would work to it's benefit. As to how to do so in the software, I... cannot say, but hopefully this can still be insightful. For example:

Your fire assets have detail, but they all kind of blend together into a dense amalgam of grain and noise. I think it'd look better to loosen it up somehow, giving it more distinct forms and easier to read ebbs and flows (especially with the stiffness of your stylized fire.)

I've always noticed explosions in games having these 'spikes/plumes' popping out, could be flames, sparks, or smoke, but they always help the effect break away from being a puff of flame. Not that there aren't simple explosions that simple torch eyebrows, but I feel like a dangerous 'reaching out' explosion would look better in a portfolio. Lasting smoke is also a nice touch.

And if you can, I'd advise taking a look at the visual and motion design of your forcefield. There's nothing wrong with using simple shapes, but at the moment it doesn't really have a "thesis' of being something that holds you back. It's sci-fi and it's crisp and clean, but it doesn't really, do, anything in it's visual language. It's not an electric webbing, or an alien wall, or lazored prison walls, and it's be nice to have a inherent narrative within the asset. Also some craftsmanship with subtle edge gradients would be nice.

And again, I'm nowhere near a VFX artist and I won't be able recognize the love and labor that went into your VFX, but these are my observations, and I hoped it helped. Good luck.
  • AnthonyAnimation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AnthonyAnimation greentooth
    Some cool stuff! This is my opinion, but I'd prefer to see things in a blank scene. That way I can see all the layers and detail. I'm sure there is some importance to engine integration, but having the effects in a dark scene hides a lot of the work. Also there's no need to repeat several of the same effects different times throughout the reel. Keep the fire together, energy stuff together, etc.

This is also personal preference, but you don't need a label for each effect or to list the software you used. You can do that on your resume. The only time you should have text on a shot is if there are multiple people's effects and you're clarifying which is yours. Time spent reading is time not spent looking at the reel.
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    Hey guys! thank you for the words. 
    I appreciate you taking the time. I was on a trip so I couldnt respond as soon as I wanted to. 
    My biggest  takeaways from what y'all (and others) have said. Is that these effects done read well and there's not much motion to them. 

As for the formatting, I've been looking at some professional reels for what they do, So i'll be applying  What y'all said, in conjunction with what I've learned

Again, thanks guys!

@AnthonyAnimation

@BoonS