Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Step-byStep Critique on my Vehicle Design to make it good

repstyle
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
repstyle polycounter lvl 10
Hi, i think it is time to improve my art and to go in that way i decided to make a really good picture.
But i need your help :)

I started a new design vehicle and i want to do it well. So i am going to submit each step to get critiques on it in order to improve it and always work on a solid foundation.

For the 1st step, i only worked the design and i painted some rough values/lights and i would like to get feedbacks about it.
Thanks to help me to improve!

Replies

• JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Gather more references and describe what kind of vehicle are you trying to make. 

The actual image you have right now is extremely vague. Is it a space ship, land vehicle, nautical or subterranean? I don't see any exhaust ports, fuselage, undercarriage, engine etc that tells me the vehicle can even propel itself.

Also, don't go to the painting stage until you have a fundamental design ready. 
  • repstyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am trying to make an imaginary vehicle.
    It is vague because i wanted to work on the shape and volume with light before any detail or rendering,
    it's a designing step, like composition. That's why it doesn't look like yet a fully rendred vehicle.
    If i make it right, i will work on the next step to add details.

If i did make all the detailed parts of the vehicle on a bad proportionned design or badly put in volume, it would be a nightmare to edit it.

I didn't drew the line, that's kind of a sketch right now.

I thougth my description was clear on the stage current state of that picture and what i am looking for, apparently not  :neutral:
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Imagination is fine, but some elements of realism is necessary to make a concept worth looking into.

What you have is just a mish mash of triangles that don't give the impression it's a vehicle of any kind. Again, don't worry about actually painting it just yet. Save that for last. Work on getting references first and basing it off something that is already practical.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    gotta agree with Jordan here.

Its nice that your thinking about things like detail and not wanting to add it to early, but with that said; things like wheels, engines or windows are not considered detail but a rather important part of any vehicle design.

they should probably be some of the first things you consider in a design Id also say you probably went into rendering a bit to early as well, its a nice shape though :)
  • repstyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, according to the feedbacks, I developed the design in 3 types :

Which seems to work the best and what should be improved if needed?

• repstyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, from the feedbacks i got previously, i choosed a design and pushed it to the next step. It's not fully rendered (I have to work more on the glass cockpit and maybe i should make the surface looking like metal). I am still looking for feedback, before going to the new step