Home Technical Talk

About making roughness map

tka94
null
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
tka94 null
Hi
I finished work at zbrush and i brought to substance painter and then i got a problem about roughness map
I want to make different roughness at scratches if i can make height map using normal map or other substance painter tool
I will make roughness map but i don't know how make it

ps i'm not good at english i hope you understand what i need

Please teach me 

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Put bright values where you want things to be rough.
    Put dark values where you want things to be smooth/shiny.

That's it !
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    pior said:
    Put bright values where you want things to be rough.
    Put dark values where you want things to be smooth/shiny.

That's it !
    If you're using substance painter this doesn't apply because that's not how the workflow works. 

What you do in substance painter is change the roughness values on the layer you want to edit

here's a picture of the layer controls in substance painter:

see where it says "rough"? that means that this layer changes the roughness. You can click on these to turn off (or on) the inputs for the different types of maps. Below this there should be a slider which you can use to set the roughness for that specific layer. 

What you want to do is find where your scratches are in the layer stack and edit the roughness values for that layer. 

When you output your images substance painter will automatically separate out all the roughness information and create a roughness map for you.

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Of course - but an understanding of the maps themselves and the understanding of an automated tool to create them are not mutually exclusive things :)

Given the stage of learning the OP is probably at at the moment (very likely attempting to texture something for the very first time) I would actually recommend to not even touch Substance programs for a long while - and instead, focusing on creating the maps manually in PS (and displaying the result in Sketchfab/Toolbag).
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "If you're using substance painter this doesn't apply because that's not how the workflow works."

@sprunghhunt Your post is a long winded way of saying exactly what @pior said.

"Put bright values where you want things to be rough.
    Put dark values where you want things to be smooth/shiny."

^ This x1000 - invert it for gloss.

Doesn't matter if you're in Substance, dDo, Photoshop, or Mari, this is how a roughness map works. Substance has a slider for each layer to set how bright or dark the value is, but it's exactly the same workflow. If you're learning how to make a new map, the first thing you need to do is understand what the map represents.

More info on PBR and what the typical maps represent here: https://www.marmoset.co/posts/physically-based-rendering-and-you-can-too/

• Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Allegorithmic has excellent beginner friendly tutorials. Here is one to get started with.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d819Y_-mLKo

I also agree with @pior about learning what the maps actually are by building them in photoshop. I learned Substance first, which wasn't terribly hard, but I just recently started learning my way around photoshop with some older tutorials about texturing in that program and it has really helped me understand the process on a more fundamental level, whereas only working in Substance Painter I understood things visually but not really the nuts-and-bolts of what is really happening. 

Specifically, Gnonom Workshop has one tutorial that is a bit dated, but I think it is called Beginning Texturing or something like that, in which you use scanned photos to create bump, color, and specular (roughness) maps, and all just by editing the saturation and other attributes inside of photoshop. So even if the techniques might not be what you'll use nowadays, it gives a good understanding of how you are communicating with the computer, rather than just experimenting in a 3d texturing app.