Offline / Send Message
MBauer17 greentooth
I can't seem to get a handle on how to take my UV maps into 3D Coat :
1.  I import an .obj for Per Pixel Painting
2. I leave the Import Settings as Default
3. I import my Textures > Import > Layer Color > texture1.psd 
4. I import my second texture (texture2.psd)  the same way

The result is below: 

I'm sorry for such a stupid question - I scoured the internet all day and couldn't seem to find what I was looking for. 

I have a second question : What reasons could there be that 3dCoat cannot import .fbx files ? I end up having to convert my .fbx to .obj because 3Dcoat pulls up an invisible object whenever I try to import an FBX 

Replies

• ridger_drift
    Offline / Send Message
    ridger_drift polycounter lvl 5
    Without having access to your model and textures the following is just a guess, so YMMV:

To resolve the problem, import each mesh with its own UV map separately.  After you import your first object, just go to "File-->Import Object" in the program, name the new object's UV id and set the texture size.  So now when you select "Textures-->Import"  and select the texture type, the import window will have a drop down to select for which mesh it applies to.

I have a second question : What reasons could there be that 3dCoat cannot import .fbx files ?

What are you using to model and export your meshes out of into 3D coat?   I use 3dsMax and have not had issues with either FBX or OBJs importing into 3DCoat.
  • Carlosan
    Offline / Send Message
    Carlosan polycounter lvl 10
    Are this videos useful for you ?

Using v4.8.13, fbx import is working fine.

https://youtu.be/g8uzhr2Fbuw

https://youtu.be/Fv4UsDbtiPg

• MBauer17
    Offline / Send Message
    MBauer17 greentooth
    @ridger_drift Thanks!! I found my grievous error was importing all my objects in as a single object (character, floor, assets all rolled into one file) and had a hell of a time realizing I needed to import them as individual objects instead. And I am using Maya 2018 to to create .fbx and import into 3DCoat.

Here's the final result 
  • ridger_drift
    Offline / Send Message
    ridger_drift polycounter lvl 5
    MBauer17 said:

I have a second question : What reasons could there be that 3dCoat cannot import .fbx files ? I end up having to convert my .fbx to .obj because 3Dcoat pulls up an invisible object whenever I try to import an FBX 

Set your FBX export type in Maya 2018 to ASCII instead of Binary and it should solve the import issue into 3DCoat:

• MBauer17