Home Technical Talk

[Maya] Skinning low poly hair

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
BTDarmstad polycounter lvl 6
Hey.

I'm having a really tough time finding a solution to this. I'm looking for a way to skin low poly hair (for games) in Maya. Since it's for games, I can't use any sort of fancy Maya feature that I can't export, so I don't know any other way of doing hair. I also can't simply skin 100% to the head, because the hair I'm skinning is not just at the top of the head, but down the neck, so it's influenced by more joints.

This blog post right here shows exactly what I need:
http://td-matt.blogspot.no/2011/05/automatic-hairfur-plane-skin-weighting.html#more

Pretty much a way to copy weights from an underlying mesh on to the low poly hair, where every vertex on each individual hair card is the same value to avoid as much deformation as possible.

But the link to the script in that 7 year old blog post is broken. As always.

There's no way that's the only possible answer out there, but that's really all I can find on skinning low poly hair that isn't just conveniently on top of a character's head. It's especially frustrating to have an answer right in your face that you can't use.

I'm willing to check out any sort of tool to achieve this in Maya, as long as it's export friendly.

Replies