Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Westworld - Angela Sarafyan Sculpt

Kingdan97
null
Worked on this for a bit today, think I've pretty well hit my secondary detail level and wanted to see if I could get some good critique for where to go before I start putting in tertiary detail to my sculpt.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Replies

• carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    Will be a good idea to post multiple views
    First and most important find good side view and second you can definitely work a bit more on her proportions and face shape

• Kingdan97
    Okay so here's a full set of renders, I was on a bit of a time crunch when I was posting before and didn't have the time to assemble them all.

Just to make sure I understand those lines you're defining with clearly:
    - My part should be centered more
    - My chin isn't low enough
    - My corners of the mouth need to come down
    - My tear ducts aren't far enough in
    - My brow should come down a touch
    - My neck should be longer
    - My ears aren't coming far enough out right now
    -My brow pulls in where hers pushes out

My side view is up there as well, it's hard to find good side reference for female actors a lot of the time because of their hair so that was the best I had, in Zbrush I did have it tilted so it mostly lined up with my side silhouette and they were all marked within a year of each other to try and avoid aging. I also see that line at the bottom of the nostrils, but the angle seems to be from below to some degree so I tried to match her nose more to the second picture I have, which although tilted seems to have been taken more head on.

Thank you for the help.
  • carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    Its not ideal but have less prospective distortion then what you have
    http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Angela+Sarafyan+3rd+Annual+Autumn+Party+Featuring+f5bTs_vXcRal.jpg

Mid line is just to reestablish symmetry as image was slightly tilted
    Red divisions are length of her nose added above and below + perpendicular to mid line (keep in mind that line on your sculpt are base of your proportions and are not the same with reference,  so you either have to make nose wider or eyes but they have to have same relationship .You can do the same thing I did for nose length(red lines) but using eye width and measure horizontally , this is a good practice to train your eye to actually see , if you are interested can give you additional exercises that can help you see)
    Teal lines are outer points of mouth eyes , nose wings ,neck and ears , showing vertical relation between features
  • Kingdan97
    So I made some adjustments to better match, as well as getting rid of my placeholder hair and eyebrows since I feel like they were doing more harm than good for my perception. Thank you for that second side reference, it was a huge boon and I've adjusted placement of a few parts of anatomy because of it.

I think the biggest thing currently bugging me is the chin, but I've tried extending it and making it less wide and both ways made the sculpt feel awkwardly built. I also see that I'm missing some structures on the back of the skull, and will need to try and find better reference for the back of her head. (maybe by rewatching Westworld I'll get a good viewing angle)

Any new feedback is always welcome, as always.
  • carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe this can help you resolve some of current issues you have (attached rar)
    I will suggest to find a skull top and mandible bottom view and memorize both silhouettes + 2 neck cross sections
    Have you done line up of your reference similar to this view 4 views out of zbrush ?

• Kingdan97
    Not outside of Zbrush no, but I'm always turning on a grid view for my primary forward and side reference for silhouette and using spotlight for my secondary views/reference to try and match 3/4. As for my back view I know what I'm missing back there I just haven't refined it because I'm focusing so much on the forward details. I do appreciate the extra reference though. I think I hit the problem I was having with the chin, I added some extra mass onto the sides of the "point" I had, which I suspect was formed by me just pushing and pulling it. I think I'm okay with my current secondary detail though. I'll post an update as I work out my tertiary.