Home Career & Education

Asking about the process behind finding an outsourcing studio

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
slovik polycounter lvl 11
Hey guys,

im aiming to create an outsource team to take freelance and outsource projects. We are working hard to increase our demoreel's quality! But I'm a little confused if the jobs comes regularly. I'm already building some relationship with clients I already have but they just don't have projects very often.

For a long term future, I really want to establish a studio for outsourcing services! Working in games projects is really an exciting idea for my career! But it's like I don't know how to start. with the amount of jobs at the moment obviously we will got no chance to stay for a single month. Should we wait til we got more clients and jobs come more frequently? And should I consider taking a economic degree at college? Try deal with the economic aspect?

Thanks a lot for your advice! Really appropriate!

Replies

• Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Get some industry experience first, if you don't have it.

Then understand what you're competing on - price, speed, quality of assets, quality of service, or a combination thereof. Understand what your competitors compete on and how you can differentiate your offer. Consider focusing on a strength of your team - for example, outsourcer Glassegg are the very best for outsourcing vehicles - that's their specialty, and people come to them because of their reputation.

Just like a single individual artist, you will have to build a portfolio. Very similar rules apply. Don't be all over the place. Have specific reels for specific clients. Your work must be at the same level, and ideally better, than their in-house work.

If you have connections to existing clients, use them to get more work. Otherwise, having someone doing sales would be a good idea. You will need to establish new relationships by attending industry events, advertising and networking. Be prepared to do art tests - many clients will give you one for the bigger contracts.

For a small operation you don't need a biz degree. But you need to understand on what you compete and why anyone should prefer you over any other outsourcing studio. The rest is just a matter of your artists producing kickass quality, and your management ensuring that things are efficient and cost effective. Understand where costs occur, where you waste time and then optimize mercilessly - if you're not in India or China, those countries start with a big advantage regarding cost, when trying to win over clients.

It might be a good idea to chat out producers and outsourcing managers - maybe there are industry or networking events in your area where you can get to know some people. XDS (External Development Summit) used to have some sessions of Youtube - it's mostly aimed at big-time AAA outsourcing, but it gives useful insights about the outsourcing industry.

I guess you will need at least the following skill areas for a very small outsourcing operations: production management, art direction, sales.... and someone to do the artwork, but this can be shared at the start.

back to the degree thing - no need to do one, but read up on:

* marketing - how to define and segment a market and how to define your offering (i.e. services) and knowing what your customers want.

* Basic understanding of costs, cash flow and financing a business (probably more important once you decide to do this full-time).

* Project management skills - planning, tracking, monitoring and how to deal with clients.

* Basic legal understanding of contract law.

• slovik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HI @kwramm

Thank you so much for your very helpful comment! Really show me the way much clearer!

You know Glassegg? Yeah I'm planning to apply for some position in Glassegg to find out more about the outsourcing Industry, Hope that you're just not their HR lol

And can you tell a little more about the XDS? This is quite he first time I heard of it :-?
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    No, I'm not from Glassegg. XDS is an annual industry convention for game related outsourcing - art, coding, sound, etc. There are usually talks and discussion panels - some, but unfortunately nor all of them, can be found on Youtube. They do have an archive with much more recorded content - maybe you have to attend to get full access to that.

The interesting thing is that you can learn how the big players use outsourcing, what are the best practices, what do they expect from outsourcers, and what do outsourcer, in turn, expect from clients.
  • slovik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Kwramm,

Ive just searched about XDS and it's truly an amazing opportunity to meet people and learn more about the industry! Thank you so much for the advice!

Theyre planning to sell their passes in May! Hope I can get some for me and my team!
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    I can only tell it from my experience. Kwramm certainly has outsource experience on a whole different level :)

do good art, showcase it, be lucky

really thats all there is.
    You should definitely work on more stuff than just your art. communication, workflows, all the stuff involved in owning a company. I agree on getting industry experience, if you don't have any, really really try to get a job inside the industry and  learn about the inner workings of teams.
    But really the first and most important thing is to do great work. If you can't deliver, why would anyone hire you?

We never did any active acquisitions, no active marketing, very little active networking. still... it sorta worked
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Yes, the company I work for does big time outsourcing - entire levels and co-development.

But back to Airborn - I think in Neox's / Airborn's case the art did the all marketing for them. You guys always pushed very memorable pieces to your galleries, either your personal work or that of clients. And it always had a certain unmistakably stye and quality. That stands out!
    It's a great example for a memorable and awesome portfolio - you see their stuff and the name Neox/Airborne just pops to mind immediately!

Although, we need keep in mind that marketing is also knowing what your customers want, so even if the advertising is taken care of, make to you keep an eye out where the industry and demand for your work is going!

Airborn is, in my view, a great example for a studio that found a unique niche where they fit into the outsourcer landscape. A niche where they can excel and where they're on top of everyone else.
    Generally studios use multiple outsourcers - due to price, outsourcer capacity, outsourcer quality, and to distribute the risk associated with outsourcing. For example one studio takes 30 background NPCs (could be split in 2 if you worry that the outsourcer may not reach your deadline), while another one gets to do 3 hero characters, yet another studio may do 20 vehicles, and yet another does VFX or animation. Knowning this, and the capabilities of your art team, can help you to find your place, just like Airborn found its place.

• slovik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Neox thanks for your advice! Your works look stunning by the way :open_mouth:

@Kwramm yeah I see you work in Virtuos Shanghai :wink: I did work in Virtuos Hồ Chi Minh last year! But I worked in a cartoon project, not in gaming field :smiley: