Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character Concepts !

Zpohm
null
Offline / Send Message
Zpohm null
Hi everyone! I'm pretty new here, but I wanted to see if I could get some feedback on some character concepts that I've done! I'm currently a student, but these designs are in my portfolio at the moment. I want to know where I can improve, and how to progress. :) 

Replies

• EVF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVF polycounter lvl 3
    Hey @Zpohm , I like your proportion and design :)

I'm no expert, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

The side view for the knight lady feels off, her sword could be more interesting also.
    Their arms are a bit short, I think the proportions are elbow at navels level. (working on my fantasy proportions myself :) )
    Rendering and material response could be added as well, maybe not for every angle of the turnaround, but at least the front views.

Good start!
    Cheers :D 
  • chubbycat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chubbycat polycounter lvl 6
    Hey Zpohm, welcome to PC

You are off to a good start. My main crits on your work have to do with design since EVF covered the other stuff nicely. At the moment, a lot of your clothing (especially the armour) are feeling like 'stickers' rather than clothes. They hug the body way too much. A good example of this is your first image, girl in the armour on the right. There is no mass distinction between her leg and the armour.. it's all placed within the same leg boundary lines. You can especially tell this with her thigh plate armour and how it's as tight as her black tights/mail that's worn underneath it. It's a lot better in the last image, but there's the same issue but within the waist/hip area. I think a lot of this steams from my next crit..

It's great to see you exploring designs, but before you get into the details, you should consider the overall silhouette of the character and make sure it has a strong unique read. There's a lot of good lessons about this on youtube. Also, you might find that thinking about interesting silhouettes first will help you explore different design possibilities.

I hope that helps! These are definitely traps I've fallen into in the past, but they are easy to fix with study and expanding your visual library with lots and lots of reference :)