Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Low-poly 3D model

BCall_Art
null
Hello everyone! My name is Brittany, and I just joined polycount. I'm submitting my model for some constructive criticism, so if you've got some time, I'd appreciate it if you could take a moment to give me some feedback.

This model of a fantasy villain was created for a class I took in Fall 2017. I'd love to hear what people think, how I could improve him, what I could consider changing. Thanks so much!

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Good job on finishing the model

1) Overall, too dark.  Hard to make out internal forms and medium details that aren’t just material changes2) Making things lighter or darker is not just a matter of adding more black or white. You need to change the color temperature AND hue.General guideline: lighter things get warmer (red/yellower) and darker/shadowed things get colder (blue)
    3) All colors could use subtle discoloration throughout the surfaces.  Off hues of green, blue, red, etc. to add more body to the material, instead of a flat local color.
    4) Character model overall could use a vertical light bake.
    5) Feather edges could use more feathering on the silhouette edge to make it softer.
    6) Gold elements could use more denting, pock marks, scratches, discoloration, and harsher contrasts between light and dark.
    7)Lighting direction on the shoes does not make sense if you’re lighting from top down.8) Ankle needs more edge loops to deform while maintaining volume.9) Staff needs better material definition between the different parts.  What is metal?  What is plastic?  What is cloth?  What is matte?
    10) Just fuse the belt to the torso geometry.  You’re unnecessarily creating possible clipping issues.11) Face needs color zone application.
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    Facially, your character looks to be in his 50's, due to the harshly defined nasolabial folds, the dark shading under his cheekbones, and the darkness and lines around his eyes. Keeping that in mind, the hair color seems strange. I would expect him to be grey, and I think that could look better design-wise as well, because then the hair has a nice color and value contrast with the skin.

The hair itself doesn't have enough depth to it. I don't think you can get away with only 4 same-colored hair strips. Since this character is hand-painted diffuse only, you'll definitely want to make some darker colored strips that you can use for the deeper layers of hair. The hair strips will also look better if you make them darker at the roots. Lastly, for the top layer of hair near the crown, you'll want to paint in a halo of light. Ofcourse, all of this is assuming that you'll keep this character diffuse only and you're not going to put a hair shader on it.

Mesh-wise, the hands seem really thin from the side. The palm should have quite a lot of thickness to it, particularly at the base of the thumb.