Home Career & Education

Need advice trying to decide what path to take 3D modeling

Shinji2009
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Shinji2009 polycounter lvl 3
Hey guys,

I am going to full sail University and I am studying video game art. I am at the point now where in my classes I can choose to model props or environment such as building etc. I am having a hard time deciding what to do. I really really enjoy making props such as guns, armor, etc but a bunch of people I know in the industry are telling me there isn't a specific prop artist role and that it just fall under environmental artist. My question is should I continue making props and enjoy it or should I attempt to focus more on the buildings and environmental aspects? Would it be harder for me to land a job if I am primarily focusing on props? Here is a link to my art station.

Artstation.com/shinji_graphix

Replies

• BucketOfNuggets
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BucketOfNuggets polycounter lvl 6
    Go with props, it is what you enjoy, can always pivot later.

I'd say it would be a lot easier to land a prop job as your first gig.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    If you are going to go the props route, make sure you are making complex "hero" props. I see a lot of jr artists filling their portfolio full of fire hydrants, crates, mailboxes, wine barrels etc. and then wondering why the can't get a job.

No only are those objects pretty simple and don't give you a good opportunity to showcase a strong set of asset creation skills, but those are the kind of assets that are outsourced to china 99% of the time. Simple world objects like that are only going to continue to be commoditized even further over the next few years. You need to show a different level of thinking if you want to kill it as a prop artist these days. Find some super cool concepts and show you can translate those designs into 3d objects.

In general these days, level artist positions (world builders) seem to be a lot more plentiful than prop artist jobs. The skillset is also completely different. Less modeling/texturing and more looking at the world as a big picture and focusing on layout, storytelling and composition. Because of the back and forth between level artists and level designers, these positions are a bit harder to commoditize because of the need for in studio, side by side communication.

But do what you are most passionate about. Any other route and you will probably suffer from burnout due to not doing what you actually want, even if you are able to get a job easier. Just put in the time and focus on getting really good.
  • ToffeeApple
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ToffeeApple polycounter lvl 8
    I agree with the industry people you know prop artist jobs are rare. Now there are asset stores and outsource studios a dedicated in house prop artist isnt as needed. Im more of a prop artist myself but trying to work on environments more for that full time in studio role. Iv found my props get me a lot of freelance work and mobile games/indie games are more interested in me for full time positions.

As to what you should study I would say follow your passion but if there is an option to work on both that would be good. So possibly do props but try and make environments in your spare time? There are some good environment art mentorships online you could do alongside your course.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

I'm with the general sentiment here, do what you really enjoy doing however if time permits as ToffeeApple commented, try your hand at making a few enviro scenes and see how you go.

EDIT:

Also remember when it comes time to apply for roles, showcase your folio content 'in-engine' this will then enable HR/Recruiting to pin point those candidates familiar with realtime asset generation right off the bat so if you've not already read them, check out these threads by @PixelMasher - "10 "insider tips" for artists applying to game studios" and @Stuart Campbell - "I'm a games industry art director, ask me anything." that address this primary aspect amongst a host of other excellent advice when submitting work for review.