Home Adobe Substance

Baking artifacts ( white and black dots, edge stripes)

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Andreicus polycounter lvl 6
Hi, i need some help to understand what causes this baking artifacts I'll copy paste some stuff from my wip topic.

I'm using Substance Painter to bake all the maps and i exported the mesh in .fbx format from Maya.

Settings that i use normally for fbx export: smoothing groups checked, smooth mesh checked, referenced asset content checked, everything else disabled.
I also tried exporting with different settings but it didn't change anything.

Settings that i normally use for Substance baking: compute tangent space per fragment checked ( when importing the mesh ), UE4 preset, match by mesh name ( because i have multiple parts ), antialiasing usually at 4x4, frontal and rear distance at 0,01.

I read a lot of stuff here on the forum and on the net about "how to deal with baking errors" like the low and high mesh should match closely, triangulate before exporting and other stuff but at this point i tried everything and i don't know what to do, so if someone could help me understand the problem i will be glad.

Now here we go with the images:

Baked with the default settings that i normally use without anti aliasing:

Baked with the same settings but with anti aliasing at 4x4:

Baked with no antiliasing but with Max Frontal Distance set to 0.005 and Rear to 0.01, i noticed that if i increase both the settings ( ex. 0.03 ) it only get worse but if i lower only the frontal distance it gets better but some artifacts are still there:

Normal map view:

Difference between Low and High geometry ( as you can see they match closely ), the High is the colored one and the Low is the one that i have selected:

Replies

• GreyJke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GreyJke polycounter lvl 2
    Straighten your UV islands
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Also apply anti aliasing / super sampling + dilation
  • Andreicus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GreyJke said:
    Straighten your UV islands
    Obscura said:
    Also apply anti aliasing / super sampling + dilation
    Thanks for your time guys, I'll try when I get home, also with Straighten the uv do you mean that i must make the border perfectly  straight? Sorry for any grammatical error but I'm using the smartphone 
  • GreyJke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreicus said:
    Thanks for your time guys, I'll try when I get home, also with Straighten the uv do you mean that i must make the border perfectly  straight? Sorry for any grammatical error but I'm using the smartphone 

And yes, dilation is important too, if you bake in Substance Painter - chose dilation+difusion (around 5-10 px wide).
  • Andreicus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so i took the lower part of the bottle, i did some cuts to the uv islands and i made them straight.
    The problem is actually solved but Maya is telling me that some of the uv islands are distorted ( red ) and if i unfold them they become curved again, i also tried with the pin tool+unfold but it doesn't change much.

So i have 2 questions:

1) How can i make straight uv islands without any distortion ?
    2) What is the fastest way to straight uv islands ? Because right now i'm doing as following: take a circular or not straight uv---> cut it so i get 2 uv islands---> take the central edge loop of one of the 2 uv islands and do an unfold+straight along that edge loop---> straight the whole uv shell---> repeat the same process with the second uv island---> move and sew them together---> straight them

Here are some images of the mesh, anti aliasing 4x4, i modified only the UVs of the inner part of the mesh to test it out:

Some UVs:

UV distortion problem:

• GreyJke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I do it manualy. You can you NightShade`s UV script, i saw in another topic someone use it to straighten UV islands. Results on your screenshots are looking much better. And yes, distortion... personaly i just fix it manualy :smile:. You have data how much your UV is distorted, just move vertecies (UV`s) until they had as minimum distortion as posible.
  • Andreicus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GreyJke said:
    I do it manualy. You can you NightShade`s UV script, i saw in another topic someone use it to straighten UV islands. Results on your screenshots are looking much better. And yes, distortion... personaly i just fix it manualy :smile:. You have data how much your UV is distorted, just move vertecies (UV`s) until they had as minimum distortion as posible.
    Yes i read about NightShade but most of the tools are already in Maya 2018 so i'll stick with the default ones.
    Well i think that i'll put some music on and start fixing some UVs...thanks again
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seems like you have roughly a million too many UV islands, this will cause problems for you if you want a nice, seamless bake that mipmaps well. Namely all these super thin strips are going to mip-map really badly.
  • Andreicus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seems like you have roughly a million too many UV islands, this will cause problems for you if you want a nice, seamless bake that mipmaps well. Namely all these super thin strips are going to mip-map really badly.
    Yep i know because i used the auto mapping+unfold for uv map all the curved bars just to complete the uv map but i did all the tests to the "bottle body" part where i cut all the seams manually and i also applied a different material to use all the texture space ( i exported only the bottle body part ) but it didn't change anything.
    With that said i still don't understand something, i saw that you usually answer a lot of technical questions so maybe you can help me out ( just a little bit :smile:  ).

I'll leave some images here of my WIP topic just to make the post more clear.

High Poly:

Low Poly:

Bottle main body: 

Concept ( FF XV ):

1) I don't understand what shape an uv island should have...i mean, i solved the artifacts problem by straightening the uvs so i thinked "ok maybe the artifacts were caused by aliasing because with a curved uv island the borders were all jagged and with a straight uv the borders are clean" but then i saw some baking videos on youtube were the artist had no straight uvs and the bake was perfect, he did only your tipycal cut--->sew--->unfold workflow.

2) How to avoid distortion when straightening an uv island without the need to fix it manually later ?

3) How would you uv map a mesh like the one that i made ? I usually place a seam where the edge of the mesh change it's orientation but i'm not quite sure anymore if this is the correct way, i saw many videos but the workflow changes every time.