Home Career & Education

How you guys deal with freelance clients?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
slovik polycounter lvl 11

Hey guys,

I’ve just took part in a game project lately. It’s my first game project and I know this one is merely for experience more than the money. I did the animating for characters.

First let’s talk a lil bit about my workflow. My animating workflow includes 3 main steps. The first one called blocking which carries the main idea of the action, like if we need a woman walking, it shouldn’t look like a man or look like any thing else than a walk cycle. The second is splines in which I smooth all the action. The last is polish in which I’ll take care more about details like fingers, facial, and penetration, etc.

The problem is, no matter how hard I tried explain to my client about these 3 steps, that how every ideas should be discussed clearly in the first step which is blocking, so it will be easier and quicker for me and him to fix anything, he still seems can’t provide the idea he want for exact until we hit the splines version. It’s an waste of time when we have to fix the problem when we’re almost finished. For instance I animated some action and I thought the hands movement should keep going until the end. I sent him my blocking which I animated the hand only stopped when the animation ended. He said good good keep going and then when I came into splines and sent him again he asked to remove all the hand movements. It’s not only I have to delete the work I spent lots of time to do and to smooth it, but also when it comes to splines, it’s not easy to change the whole action anymore.

Have anyone feel this before? Is that I should find some other way to communicate better or this concept is really hard for someone not an animator to understand? You guys have any advices? Or I should get used to clients who keep asking me to redo when I almost done?

Thank you for your time. I really appreciate your comments!

Replies