Home Technical Talk

How do I recreate this outline? [Maya and others]

usasabage
null
Hello,

I've been studying different animations and have been trying to recreate certain styles. So far, outlines seem to be the hardest thing to replicate. A classmate showed me this book and I found this outline that I want to recreate, but the writer didn't provide sufficient information (plus, I can't speak Japanese). If anyone knows how to recreate this, I would be most appreciative.

According to the author, the colored image is the control mask/texture that defines what gets an outline. Since they are all the same brightness, the width of the lines should be uniform. To me, it sounds like they're using a Line Width map for toon outline. However, what I'm wondering is how to use the colors. Apparently, the colors are used on overlapping pieces that need to have an outline. There is some threshold that detects a change in color, and once it crosses the threshold a line is defined. So, I'm wondering which setting in toon outline (if it even is a part of toon outline) causes this. Or, is this something that is created from this mask in another program like After Effects? I know it can be done in Pencil+ for 3ds Max, but the author used Maya for this.

Thank you advance.

Replies