Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Stylized Steam train

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Olingova interpolator

Hello everyone!

I needed some project to do when too bored of my main projects, so i decided to go for a tiny cute western train! Currently working on the High poly; i am using those excellents plans as references: 

Here are some lill renders from maya (had some fun with the lights nd stuff):

Even if i'm using thoses plans as a base i got no problem to change the design a bit, so i am totally open to any crits about it; and reaaaaally look forward to read crits abotu modeling or topology :) 

Replies

• GreyJke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GreyJke polycounter lvl 2
    Small pipes have too dense topology and nose part has "bad" topology (too many edges share one vertex... i forgot how it calls), actually all of cylinders have that issue, it can cause some weird artiffacts.
  • Olingova
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olingova interpolator
    GreyJke said:
    Small pipes have too dense topology and nose part has "bad" topology (too many edges share one vertex... i forgot how it calls), actually all of cylinders have that issue, it can cause some weird artiffacts.
    Ow yeah since it's just the highpoly i'm slowly building i think i dont care for the moment right? I will start the lowpoly from scrach and in a clean way later :)
  • Peter_tran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peter_tran triangle
    If you're only worrying about the high poly at the moment, I think it's quite good! Maybe try to add a few big sharp bevels and not only sharp 90 degree corners. Also use some real life photos as reference! Using ortographic images will help you for the proportions but it won't help you too much in the longer run, imo.

One small tip if you didn't know already. Turn on your anti-aliasing when you share your topology! It helps a lot to read the topology. Turn it off while working if your hardware can't handle it. Cheers! :)

• Olingova
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olingova interpolator
    @Peter_tran
    Ow yeah actually i didn't even knew that trick shame on me hahaha thanks a lot :D Yeah i still got a lot of bevels to add you 're right; nd i should start lurking on the internet for real photos (especially for that wheel mechanism, some things don't make sense to me for the moment haha) Thanks a lot for your comment !
  • Olingova
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olingova interpolator
    Let me raise that post from the dead:

I am playing a bit with more stylized texturing and thought that since that locomotive already looks kinda like a toy better go full cartoony on it!

So i started by continuing the mesh, finishing the mechanism itself and added some covers on the side for nice texturing area (i will probably draw a logo or something on it)

And since I couldn't wait I jump straight into texturing with a quick lill props I will use with the train. I looked at a lot of "Overwatch like" texturing reference and kinda mashed it up; might have ended up with a bit too much grunges but it was so fun to try already!