Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Medusa-inspired Female Character

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
ZhanéJM polycounter lvl 3
For this character project I'll be creating a modern version of medusa, taking some aspects literally and others more symbolically. I haven't decided yet if I want to add any supernatural elements to this character (which would look quite cool), or whether she's going to be human; I'll decide later.

Another aspect of this project is to practice clothing and hair creation, trying to get as close to the source material as I can.

The general aesthetic I'm going for is a relaxed bohemian theme and experiment with colours a bit more than I usually do. 

As well as what kind of/level of stylisation, I needed references for the type of black woman I wanted to create. Making sure to follow the Medusa theme, I want her to have quite expressive eyes.

Reference for the locks so I could study the textures, flyaway hairs, and how I might re-create them in 3D.

The character will have pet snake, so I collected some reference on them, looking at the scale textures and colours; I love the thought of an iridescent material.

This was the first iteration of the face, I like to take my sculpt into Photoshop and edit the face in there as it's quicker and non-destructive to the original. I also do a colour paint-over to get help get a better feel for how I want my character to look, I find it helps to fill in the design gaps and start fleshing the character out.

I can then apply those changes to my sculpt, which in this case was making the brows less heavy, adding more weight to the face, and making other features more pronounced.

Base for character
The idea was to get a rough shape of her body, so the clothing will flow well in Marvelous Designer. However, I didn't want to focus too much time on areas that would be covered by clothing anyway, the main detail area being the face.

This is the character design I've decided to go with for now, I had quite a bit of fun layering up the clothing once I knew what kind of look I was aiming for; I've gone for a mix of a modern mesh and grunge look.

Because I wasn't going from a particular period I was stuck at first on what I wanted her to wear, and so decided to put the outfit together thinking about what someone would realistically want to wear, what would be comfortable, and what items they would carry with them.

I decided against too many items on the torso because I didn't want to design to look too top-heavy with snake and wanted to have some rest points on the character since she's going to have tattoos as well; I don't want the design to be too busy.

Advice/crit is greatly welcome as always (will help me out a lot), and I will be back with an update soon :)