Home Marmoset

Reloading & Updating Meshes

fattkid
polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
fattkid polycounter lvl 15
Hey Joe,

It's me again - 

I'm curious what best practice is for reloading/updating high res or low res meshes is, and what the limitations or caveats might be? How much can the geo change, or vert count etc.

And when I am painting a skew map - is that "transferrable" or saveable to an updated mesh, or possibly a different mesh that is very similar - say a rifle variant with a different stock, but everything else is the same as the original  mesh the map was painted on?

Thanks again!

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When meshes are reloaded we try to preserve as many settings as possible. The important thing to keep in mind is that you should keep the name of the meshes consistent, if the mesh names change when you update the file, it may register as a new mesh and/or baker group. Assuming naming is consistent, we can preserve:

1. Offset settings and offset map
    2. Skew map

Now, if you change your UVs, you may need to reset your skew and offset maps, as these maps are UV dependent.

Generally I like to export an FBX file for the low, and another for the high. This way you can make updates to the low without having to reload the high content, and vice versa.

• fattkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fattkid polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks man!

Once I'm up and running and have a spare moment to share with my coworkers, we'll probably be ordering a few more copies :)