Home Career & Education

Level Designer without Programming skills?

admin
Offline / Send Message
System admin
This discussion was created from comments split from: How do I make a level design Portfolio?.

Replies

• VladV95
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VladV95 polycounter lvl 6
    Dragongx wrote: »
    Im not sure if I should make one really good level or a few good ones. Also, should I show gameplay of the level or something else?

Level design portfolio are really hard to make, because nobody can just look at it and know if you actually kick ass or not. Also, the hiring process isn't the same for all game studios.

The things that I think would be a must to demonstrate in a LD portfolio would be:
    - Solid documentation skills
    - You are comfortable with Source SDK, Unreal Engine 3, Unreal Engine 4, Unity, etc.
    - Scripting/Programming skills (Kismet, Blueprint, LUA, Pythong, C++, etc.)
    - Singleplayer level design - Puzzle
    - Singleplayer level design - Action
    - Multiplayer level design - Unreal Tournament, Quake, Counter-Strike, etc.
    - Show both your experience and passion (indie game, mods, etc.)
    - Show that you are more interested in doing level design for X company than to make your own games. Show them that you are a good little soldier...
    This is maybe a bit off topic but, without Programming skills I cant be a Level Designer ?
  • Marshkin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marshkin polycounter lvl 9
    From my experience, you do not need to write in a specific programming language, but you do need to be capable of scripting. Now this may vary from studio to studio

UE4s Kismet is a perfect example - It's using a visual scripting language in order to create the events in the level. You need to be comfortable with logic flow , but you don't need to know the syntax of C# in order to create creature spawning ;)

• PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    yea scripting will probably come in handy, but during most of my time working with level designers, they mainly used the tools within the editor for 99% of things, tech artists and programmers built the tools for them to make their life easier. People who want to work as level designers need to be focused on what makes a level/encounter/layout fun to play.

Focus on that and you will get a job faster than someone who knows all the technical details but cant make an interesting level layout. Always focus on the player experience, and you will be on the right path to success.
  • Shudrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shudrum polycounter lvl 6
    I worked three years at Ubisoft (Paris), two years as a level designer.

Having the basics of editors, mainly UE & Unity, is important, but, I think the main reason they allowed me to become a level designer, like PixelMasher says, if my video game knowlege, and the ability to understand what make a game fun / boring, how the fun / difficulty are tuned during a game, and many other subjects.

Programming is not needed, if so, I'm pretty sure you will follow a course for it.

Just be passionate, see by yourself if you are able to really understand level design, fun, how to give players some emotions, and you will be set. During the interview, without thinking you will quote many games, many situations, many mechanics.

Right now, I no longer work on the video game industry, but I'm pretty sure that a heavy passionated and competent / analytic gamer will make an excellent level designer.

Do not hesitate to create maps on some games for your portfolio, it will help you a lot.