Home Adobe Substance

A question about baking entire characters.

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
As I'm self teaching myself character art there are a lot of basic things I am missing. One thing I can't seem to figure out is how people bake normals of full characters. I have a knight character with tons of high poly subtools and before I would bake each piece individually and create maps for each piece, but now I want the whole character on one map so I've taken the high and low into Maya, named all the pieces accordingly, made my color IDs, but I can't export the high version. Too many polys. So I wanted to ask, how do you guys go about something like this? How does it work for games? Thanks in advance for all help.

Replies

• Ruflse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruflse polycounter lvl 6
    I usually make the highpoly in Zbrush (even if I make my blockouts in Blender) and then after finishing the hp and making the lowpoly with UVs I add names to the pieces of the lp and the subtools of the hp accordingly to bake them by name inside Substance Painter, add a single material for every texture set of my lowpoly so Painter recognises them; and finally I export my whole lowpoly in a single obj. and use Subtool Master to export my highpoly in multiple objs, organice the objs of the highpoly by texture sets if I'm making more than one, and bake.

There are some thing to have in mind if you follow this workflow:
    1. Since Zbrush by default doesn't preserve the name of the subtool when exporting so Painter can read the name of the files and identify them you have to uncheck Grp under Export for every subtool before exporting. I've made a little script to do that (it may not be perfect, so if you use it check the last subtool, sometimes it doesn't uncheck Grp for it). You can save it as a txt. and then change it to a zsc. to execute it in Zbrush (I'm asuming you use Zbrush). Zbrush resets the export settings for every subtools if you close the application, so you'll have to use the script to turn off Grp again.

[IButton,"Turn Grp off","Run routine on all subtools",
    [SubtoolSelect,0]
    [Loop,[ToolGetSubtoolsCount]-1,
    [IUnPress,Tool:Export:Grp][IPress, Tool:SubTool:SelectDown]]
    ]

[IButton,"Turn Mrg off","Run routine on all subtools",
    [SubtoolSelect,0]
    [IUnPress,Tool:Export:Mrg][IPress, Tool:SubTool:SelectDown]]
    ]

[IButton,"Turn Txr off","Run routine on all subtools",
    [SubtoolSelect,0]
    [IUnPress,Tool:Export:Txr][IPress, Tool:SubTool:SelectDown]]
    ]

[IButton,"Turn Grp,Mrg and Txr off","Run routine on all subtools",
    [SubtoolSelect,0]
    IUnPress,Tool:Export:Grp][IUnPress,Tool:Export:Mrg][IUnPress,Tool:Export:Txr][IPress, Tool:SubTool:SelectDown]]
    ]

2. Subtool Master doesn't allow subtools with the same name since their name is going to be the one of the obj, so if you want to bake a diferent parts of the hp to a single object in the lp (like baking a jacket and its buttons or something like that) I use this option inside Subtool Master to rename automatically pieces with the same name -> Subtool Master -> Do Visible -> Correct duplicate subtool names. You can also manually add something after "_high" to make them have a different name (like Jacket_high01 [the jacket], Jacket_high02 [the buttons of the jacket], Jacket_high03 [the stitches], etc) and it'll bake just the same.

3. For some reason Subtool Master forces you to add a prefix for the export of the subtools (like ManJacket_high01, ManJacket_high02, etc), so I use another script inside Blender to add the same prefix to the pieces of my lowpoly (ManJacket_low). That should be easy to find even if you use another program like 3ds Max or Maya.

4. I change the name of the subtools I don't want to bake but I don't want to delete to something like "Nope" and hide them so Subtool Master doesn't export them.

Hope you understood my workflow. It may sound overly complicated but it allows me to create a character with a lot of subtools and bake them easily without having to export them one by one or explode them and to be able to change and reexport a single subtool without having to export the whole highpoly again.

• WillBaisden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow thanks for the detailed reply. I'm going to try this in a bit. I'll reply back here with how it went.
  • Ruflse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruflse polycounter lvl 6
    No problem! Ask if you have any questions.