Home Technical Talk

Maya coding Issue - Save won't open "Invalid use of ind"

BurntButter
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
BurntButter polycounter lvl 2
Hiya, I've been on this project just for a week or so, but I can't spare the time to redo parts of it as I've got a lot on my plate with other modules etc.

I last saved this perfectly fine, no issues. Then when I copied to the memory stick, I changed the project folder name and used it on another computer. That's when I realised that there's a big issue with my scene.

I open the save and it's empty. Script editor mentions a bunch of errors that I can't work out because I am terrible with Maya code.
But it mentions "Invalid use of Maya object 'ind'" with a bunch of "nan(ind)" in the coding, some even written in between binary.

So I don't know what to replace each with to get my save file back.

Here's my project, I hope you can help! Thanks
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-DSjRKhcEquoFYo3DnhhfE-dys_5fDI4

I have also attached the script editor error message that pops up when I open the scene.

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here's a fixed copy of your scene file. There's a few probably harmless preference errors related to Arnold, but the problem with "-nan(ind)" is pretty nasty. NaN is short for Not a Number, which means something bugged out and maya is trying to store a number that's vastly out of range, probably Infinity in these cases. What I did was open your .ma in Notepad++ and searched for -nan(ind), checking all the values before doing a replace all, turning them into 0.0. I wanted to make sure that all occurrences were going to be a valid edit before doing so. Like in case a float2 was called for, and there were 5 nans trailing it or bleeding into another float2 improperly or somesuch.

Also, the problem areas were entirely with UVs, most certainly from the long history chain your model has. In Maya, we generally try to clear history peridocially, it can bog down after some time, or cause problems like this. And nearly always clear history before starting work on UVs. Cheers!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jeniqNzogx69dEoG-gvz2gFkAcvwTl-u
  • BurntButter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BurntButter polycounter lvl 2
    Thanks a lot, I'll keep that in mind from now on.
    I could have swore I cleared/deleted the history several of times. I must have forgotten on the last edit.
    Thanks again for your time, you've saved me! <3
  • francomanko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    francomanko polycounter lvl 13
    Just had the same issue today, opened up a scene to find it all corrupted, you solution worked for me too...weird thing is, I delete the history like i have OCD. 

Much appreciated you saved me a lot of pain :)