Home Career & Education

Question about using models for animation and copyrights

Tooupy
null
Offline / Send Message
Tooupy null
Hi im not sure if this is right place to ask questions like this but i couldn't find better place on this forum.

I was wondering if using model of Pokemon for animation showreel a violation of copyrights?
Do i have to give credit to Nintendo or i cannot use them at all?
If i get hired because of showreel featuring animation of Pokemon model is it count as a financial benefiting or is it just showing my abilities and it does not matter what model do I use since Im not pretending those models are mine?

I would greatly apprecieate any help if anyone have idea how it works

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This depends on a number of factors.

The most important one: Is the model ripped from a game or downloaded from a dubious source which may have ripped it from a game? If so, you should absolutely not animate and put this in your portfolio. Not only is it a very clear violation of copyright, it's big no-no as far as ethics are concerned, and the people you are going to be applying to would certainly not look kindly on it.

Now, let's say you created the model yourself, or you have a friend who created the model and gave you permission to use it. This would generally be considered fan art and would generally be okay. There is still some risk here though, as the IP owners of Pokemon have the responsibility to enforce their copyright, which could mean contacting you and demanding you remove the content from the internet, and/or contacting the owners of the site where you post said work. You could technically argue fair use, but that's more of a theoretical situation where if you were to take it to court that would be the direction, but it would be foolish to do anything other than obey their request in this case.

Historically IP holders treat these cases differently depending on what you're doing:
    1. If you're recreating the likeness of a licensed character, and using it for some sort of commercial purpose (a t-shirt, a game, etc) they will come after you hard. Definitely do not ever do this.
    2. If you're doing it for some sort of free project, let's say a mod of an existing game, the IP holder may still come after you for this, it's happened countless times.
    3. If you're making a drawing or a model for your portfolio, this is generally considered fan art and the IP is not very likely to get involved, but they could if they wanted to.
    If you're unsure, the best course of action is to simply not do it. Create an original concept and your own model for it, or contact one of the countless talented artists out there who have made a model of an original concept and ask for permission to animate it and put it in your portfolio. There are a lot of artists out there who would be more than happy to have their models animated and will collaborate with you, especially if you have some previous work you can show them.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    I agree with EQ's summation using original content for your anim portfolio entry. Nowadays IP copyright/left policies tend to be a minefield for the unintiated to navigate at the best of times without the added burden of potential litigous action brought forward by the owner/s, TBH a much safer ass covering rout going 100% customised output instead.
  • Tooupy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tooupy null
    Thanks a lot for an answer. I was seeing it as a way to do a "fan art" as an animator but i was unsure on how ppl would see it.
    Well, too bad, those models are cool looking and well made :( I guess Im back to searching models with proper CC