Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Substance Designer-Substance Painter-Smart Material (Help)

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
lilJohn polycounter lvl 5

Okay, here it is quick. I'm starting to work on custom substance painter smart materials "spsm" file type and I've got some noob questions. 

Substance Designer-SD
Substance Painter-SP

My workflow is:
1.SD- Create material
2.SD- Export 4K PNG
3.SP- Import textures and apply them to fill
4.SP- Create custom generator 
5. SP- Create Custom Smart Material
6. Explorer- Copy SPSM from SP Shelf into custom file
7.Explorer- ZIP custom file and import to Gumroad for sale

File size per zip= 200mb/each

Questions:
1. What is the average file size per spsm, as a working professional what is your opinion on the memory footprint of 200mb. (IMO- the smaller the better right? I think 200mb is fkin huge)
2. What is the best export file type (I will be switching from PNG to TGA, that's the correct move right?)
3. What is the more efficient/useful workflow? Roughness or Specular? (I'm using Roughness because I'm a basic *****)
4. What is the most effective naming convention for searching through materials? (I'm naming the materials starting at Good_Wood_01)
5. Could I switch to 2k? (Is 4k necessary to most SP users? It would save a lot of memory if I could down-res to 2048x2048)

If you don't mind testing this material above, I'm creating a free download on Gumroad. Nothing has been named, not even the original fill layer. But I'm including the textures for anyone that would like to take the time to download. 

Download Free: https://gumroad.com/g3d

Edit: I figured out how to export sbsar to Painter from Substance so the file size is down to 3mb. 

Replies