Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Skull Grenade ala Borderlands

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Daf57 polycounter lvl 9

Fun little model of a WW1 era fragmentary grenade in the style of one of my favorite all time games - Borderlands! Modeled in 3DS Max 2018, textured in Substance Painter and rendered in Vray using Toon. Some post work in Photoshop to "toon" it up a bit.

Skull model purchased on TurboSquid, modeled by donGuzzini and modified to fit purpose by me.

Wire and clay shots included.

Thanks for looking!
Daf

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I like the design, though the nose cavity doesn't quite make sense, and it seems a monotone because of the only local color being green.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Maybe it's just me, but is the wear and tear around the sockets and nose too coincidental? 
    The rest of the grenade has tear going in all directions, but how come the face gets off easier?
  • Tetranome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tetranome polycounter lvl 6
    Your wear is appearing along almost every edge on the grip-pieces when realistically there wouldn't be edges there. You should try and hide them in your textures, perhaps by lowering the intensity of your wear mask or by painting them out of it.

Borderlands also has a lot of painterly colour variation on the surface. You could make a little colour palette by pushing the HSL of your base colour and then painting some new tones on top of what you currently have. 

See the subtle colour variation? Most obvious on his hat.

Nice work. Cool cell shading. Looking forward to your next model :)
  • Daf57
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daf57 polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks, guys, good advice as always. I have to admit I didn't treat this as seriously as I should have - bit a quick/lark project. May revisit it in the future. Thanks so much for the comments! :)
      -------------------
    Tetranome wrote ...Borderlands also has a lot of painterly colour variation on the surface. You could make a little colour palette by pushing the HSL of your base colour and then painting some new tones on top of what you currently have.

I'm interested in this - not sure how to create the pallette by "pushing" the HSL - what does that mean exactly?  Can  you direct me to a tutorial or more info?

Thanks!
    Daf

• Tetranome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tetranome polycounter lvl 6
    HSL stands for Hue, Saturation, Lightness. Also known as Colour, Chroma, Value - respectively.

I'll let Sycra explain:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2fZdGZKP1k
    :)

Here's your base colour (middle) put through some saturation and lightness variance:

While I haven't adjusted your hue, all you have to do is push it slightly towards either colour that sandwiches green on the colour wheel... adding more yellow or more blue.

When making a colour palette for variations, try and only choose 2 or 3 variations at the start, otherwise your image will get too busy and unclear. Take a look at the borderlands image I linked again and see if you can make out the colour variations :)

If you find all this interesting, I highly recommend "Colour and Light" by James Gurney. It's a great book on colour theory that will help you get more out of your colour choices!
    Hope this helps, feel free to ask if you have any more questions or if I wasn't clear enough!

P.S: Don't feel like you have to go back to a finished project. Sometimes it is good to get something out of the door, learn from it, and then apply what you've learned to the next piece!
  • Daf57
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daf57 polycounter lvl 9
    Oh this is great, super interesting! Thank you so much! :)
  • Daf57
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daf57 polycounter lvl 9