Home Career & Education

Is it okay to model other peoples concept art?

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
YaboyZay polycounter lvl 3
I've model a few objects from other people's concept art and I was wondering if its okay to show off my work. I would give credit to the artist, but I just wanted to practice modeling from a concept and get the artist image of the concept they made. Also is it ok to us it in a portfolio?

Replies

• CrackRockSteady
    It shouldn't be an issue but as long as you know who the concept artist is why not send them a message and politely ask permission?
  • YaboyZay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It shouldn't be an issue but as long as you know who the concept artist is why not send them a message and politely ask permission?
    Yeah I was thinking about that too ahead of time. I emailed someone about there concept art before but i don’t remember getting a response back
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Even if you don't get a responsse back, it's still a good courtesy to say somewhere in your presentations and discussions that this is X person's concep/t, and links to their work.

As long as you generally cite properly, you're okay to use other people's concepts as a design basis.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    yea, just give credit, and sending a message can be a nice touch, you see people just crediting concept artists and linking to the concept on their artstation posts as well.

there are plenty of content curation instagram accounts who re-post concept art and make money off doing so, so I dont think anyone is going to mind you making a 3d version of their concept art for your portfolio. But its always good to ask, which is also a good networking opportunity and good for the community in general.
  • YaboyZay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok I see will do. Thanks for the responses guys  :)