Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017 Riot Creative Contest 2017 - Illustration

[Riot Creative Contest 2017- Illustration] Hextech Janna

Hello Everyone! Im Amiel and this is my WIP thread for my entry, a re imagine of Hextech Janna!

The initial conceptualization of the story/art was originally her, flying above Piltover donning Piltover/Zaun clothing. However as I progressed with the piece, as well as going through her lore, I changed it up to a simpler concept which I believe establishes a good sync with her lore as well as her characterization as a support. 

With Hextech branching out heavily with Annie and Galio, away from the standard steampunk theme, I wanted to give something unique to Janna.

The people of Zaun are, for the most part, looked down on by Piltover. The line "They think Zaun is where the losers live" from Deep Breath was really striking to me, and I wanted this to center around the story I wanted to convey with Janna. 

The overall story of the splash would be, Janna, in disguise as a citizen of Zaun/Piltover lifting people up,above the fumes, above the haze of Zaun, past Piltover and expose them to sunlight and fresh air. To show them that there is light at the end of the tunnel, that they can look past the judgmental eyes and find that the horizon is the limit.
The wind will always be there, ready to guide them, the tempest at their command.  

The Process!: 

As stated, It started with just Janna, the initial thumbnail I began and went with: 

Initial coloring:

I eventually shifted the face and torso and began working on the finalized concept of her lifting Zaunites (Is that right? xD)

(Removed the 'serious' tone of her face, since most of her skins have her very poker faced excluding Forecast, so I made her smile, which is more fitting with the story concept :) )

Once that was established, I began finalizing Janna herself:

Afterwards, I began to paint and establish the Zaunites. I also lessened the number of citizens to three to not crowd the piece too much:

Final Citizens:

Composition structuring of the four figures:

Background art, which I wanted to be rather simple!

Finalization as well as Zephyr addition:

Finishing rendering:

The Final Image!:

Thank you so much for your time! :D