Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Coke Can!

null
Offline / Send Message
Nemzoff null
Finished this Coca Cola can today. Took me overall around 6 hours.
Kinda unhappy with how the red material turned out and by the lack of contrast between the white text and the silver outline

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/RG94y

Replies

• jgarrison
    Offline / Send Message
    jgarrison polycounter lvl 5
    Looks good! If you use an off-white color for the logo/decals and push the roughness and metallic on the painted metal and nude metal farther apart, that might helt to make the outline pop out more. The coke can I'm holding has 4 ridges below the top, that might be a new thing but it would break things up a bit. You could also add some condensation and droplets/water streaks to make it look cold and refreshing!
  • Nemzoff
    Offline / Send Message
    Nemzoff null
    Thanks! That's helpful! I'll post results once I update the model!
    Also could you send your new coke? I dont get the 4 ridges thing)
    jgarrison said:
    Looks good! If you use an off-white color for the logo/decals and push the roughness and metallic on the painted metal and nude metal farther apart, that might helt to make the outline pop out more. The coke can I'm holding has 4 ridges below the top, that might be a new thing but it would break things up a bit. You could also add some condensation and droplets/water streaks to make it look cold and refreshing!
    Do you know where can I add droplets/water streaks? I am thinking houdini but there must be a way to bake it onto textures like they do in the new Battlefield 1
  • jgarrison
    Offline / Send Message
    jgarrison polycounter lvl 5
    Wow, I never noticed this before but I'm living in Hawaii atm and apparently soda cans on the mainland don't have ridges at the top! Here's an example (pic not mine): 
    This is pepsi but it's the same way with Coke and Dr. Pepper, apparently.

As for the water streaks, the condensation won't change the diffuse color so I believe you could accomplish the look with a combination of alphas, masks and procedurals in the roughness, metallic and height channels. then you'd just paint the streaks in as a mask over the condensation layer.
  • Nemzoff
    Offline / Send Message
    Nemzoff null
    Yeah, no ridges like that where I live. They kinda look ugly too.
    So here are updated materials. Changed the silver lines, changed the red material. Improved lighting in the scene too
  • Nemzoff
    Offline / Send Message
    Nemzoff null
    Final version
    Feel like the materials have hit the level realism that I seeked