Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017 Riot Creative Contest 2017 - Illustration

[Riot Creative Contest 2017] Officer Poppy reporting in!

null
"This is outside of your jurisdiction officer. Whether or not this is your case is another matter entirely. You will stand down, all of you! That's an order! Over."
The TV was left the only source of noise in the otherwise silent room. Beneath it, Constable Trundle stood grim, watching the robbery unfold on the evening news. In the doorway, the frame creaked under the weight of Captain Volibear's gloved paw. And behind her desk, Poppy tightened her grip on her hammer. When she opened her mouth, she said the four words that were on everyone's mind.
"Like hell I will."

Process:
I started this splash process at the beginning of January. At the time, I had no idea what I wanted to draw. One idea I really wanted to do was neon strike ekko. I had already had a design in mind. But nothing seemed to work for him. So I decided to go with a design I had drawn back in October for the skintober challenge on twitter:

I loved the donut hammer and this design felt strong overall. So I began with some quick sketches:

Fun fact: I always draw poppy with big hair. not sure why...

I gravitated towards the office setting because it really allowed me to use the lines of the room to push the perspective. 1 was my favorite for a while, but I really wanted to make sure I was paying attention to the fantasy of poppy. And what is poppy without her hammer? 2 wasn't very clear in terms of what was happening, even though I really thought poppy looked cute munching on a donut. but poppy is a hero who's always ready. 4 seemed to be the best in that regard. she has her hammer, she's answering the call to action, and I even get to include her two coworkers voli and trundle! But i still wanted to see if I could make her splash reflect what it was like to play her in game as she charges into the fight. So i drew up 3 just to get an idea of what that was like. I narrowed it down:

and the middle one was still the clear winner, so I went with that design.

Refining:
Now that I had my sketch, it was time to refine it and decide on lighting. For references, I used the poppy splashes (everyone draws her nose so small??? its so??? small????), the other officer skins, google results for police offices, plants, and other small details like boots and the poppy on her desk

With that, I went on to make my mock up:

I was happy with the narrative (Voli charging through the door to ask if poppy had heard the news made it in from another rough draft), and the lighting /pose was dynamic enough, so i was ready to start the paintover.
Session 1:
I was only able to work on weekends, but i managed to make visible progress each time

(I had the sign read "city guard" at first. also forecast janna on the tv)

(
more easter eggs, the conspiracy cork board and a photo from poppy's fellow yordle! i never really liked the bg of the photo. and a gift from the force: a mug that says "#1 COP" or also "#1 CUP". poppy laughed.)

At this point I had most of the bg done... and then my tablet died ;_;. BUT i was able to get a cheap little replacement and i powered through to the finish! Snags that i hit along the way: the donut was always what drew the eye so i had to make it darker, the hair color was a struggle (HAIR IN GENERAL AHH), keeping the lighting in check since i changed it to overhead, and making sure i didnt ruin my pic with overlays)

After that it was just some strategic blurring of all of the nice details i had drawn (artist life ;;;) and I was done! With very little time to spare.

This was definitely my biggest project yet. before that id done some big fancy pieces, but nothing like this. Total, I probably spent at least 60 on and off hours on this? That might be a tad generous but I started on jan 7th on this piece... so a lot of time! but I did take away a lot from it and i totally want to draw more art now. Thank you so much for this fun opportunity and the push to both complete a large scale piece like this as well as posting it on such a cool platform! Hope everyone enjoys my Officer Poppy splash art!