Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017 Riot Creative Contest 2017 - Illustration

[Riot Creative Contest 2017] Ezreal - An Adventure With A View

null
Offline / Send Message
pstechno null
Hi there to whoever visiting! I decided to take on the challenge of illustrating my own version of Ezreal. I started with a quick character sketch to get to know him. 

I’m not that familiar with him since before but after looking up his history i found him very interesting! This quick sketch above is not the official one, it’s just a test to work up my own touch to him. For me it’s important that the character I illustrate look alike the original yet that everyone can see that i make my own style to keep it fresh and original.

Here’s the official sketch! The background however takes a lifetime to sketch haha

I love perspectives like these, it makes the artwork a bit more adventurous! And that fits perfect for Ezreal especially. 

I’m going with a night theme since that will put an extra magic feeling towards the piece, and it will make the bow part of his gauntlet (that isn’t sketched here yet) to stand out more

Clothes and details arn’t yet portrayed right (!)

Coloring of his face and hair. Not sure here yet how i’ll keep the colors

Also ignore the annoying white line at the bottom, it’s obviously not a part of the artwork

Here’s a bit more progress on the clothes especially, the difference between the picture above and below is that I hadn’t focused much on his signature details there yet

Now time to get the background in works. Those buildings felt like forever to paint! However it can be kinda relaxing from time to time. It’s the second time i try to draw a bigger background, especially a whole city

When i first started my idea, and it was only one in my head, I always wanted these colors. I wanted it to be evening or even night because that’s when a true adventure cones to live - in the shadows casted by the city lights and the stars.

Almost all details added! But it’s still pale and not much action is happening. Most of my ideas around the background actually came as i sat painting it, it’s not like i had the full image planned out from the beginning 

Here’s more darkness added, his bow and i also decided to add another part of the artwork to keep him and what’s happening in focus

And here’s the final result! This contest really opened up my creativity to the fullest, it was fun to make and i’m honestly so happy of the result. This is also my first time creating anything for this contest so it’s really exciting! 

Some points about this illustration: Ezreal’s pose is based on another of his dangerous missions, using his powers against enemies at this height as he’s not afraid of dangerous adventures. The piece is made completely with my own style but still featuring all things that is Ezreal!