Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017 Riot Creative Contest 2017 - Narrative

Annie -- Finished!

Possums
null
Offline / Send Message
Possums null
Hey there, I only recently saw that this was a thing and am really interested in giving it a shot. I love the game and the first champion I really mained was Annie. So, I'll be working on that and hopefully will have it done by today.

Replies

• Possums
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Possums null
    The main concept I want to work with is telling a short story within her life. One which to her would probably be her most important moment.
  • Possums
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Possums null
    Thank goodness it's only a short piece. I've written up a draft which I want to refine a few more times.
  • Possums
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Possums null
    Reworked the ending to fit more thematically with the dark tone I wanted.
  • Possums
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Possums null
    I'm pretty much torn for time atm because I have so much to do yet also want to invest so much time into this piece.
  • Possums
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Possums null
    I basically reworked a lot of the story so it flows easier as I felt the last one was too lax? Basically it didn't flow well.
  • Possums
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Possums null
    Finished the third draft, I'm liking how it's coming together but I basically changed the start so it works more cyclically.
  • Possums
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Possums null
    I'm working on the fifth draft, basically polishing everything meticulously until I wanna cry. My process of editing is quite odd and I guess slow? At least with my own work. I write and rewrite it word by word to make sure it flows and I have no grammar issues. I repeat this until I'm happy. Well, not really happy but happy enough with it. Pleased? Generally I hate the editing and redrafting process but I don't really have the time not to panic over this.
  • Possums
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Possums null
    Also, fun fact, I started working on this on my birthday. So I have loads of cake and tea to keep me going.
  • Possums
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Possums null
    Well, I've posted it now, for some reason I'm getting weird vertigo from just looking at my screen right now, so I decided that the 6th draft would be enough. I'm gonna quickly walk through my thought processes behind the piece though as I feel I should.
    The initial concept was basically me asking myself the question of "How did Annie get tibbers?" So I looked into it and rememered that she "tamed a shadow bear" or something like that and bound it to her bear. Which was like, awesome, but I wish it was shown instead of told. So, of course, I decided to write that. I needed drama and tension but also wanted to put a darker twist on Annie's character in general. She's a pretty dark character, but it's never really shown though lore, it's shown through personality/concept in general (I mean guys she's a young child able to outright burn people alive). From the concept I did a short draft of about 800 words, which seemed alright, it meant I could have some waffle and context but I had to streamline for entertainment purpose.
    So I did, I wrote as much stuff I thought was relevant before I full finished my actual draft 1. Draft one to me is the piece I work up from, not concept from. But anyway, I was able to mix and weave what I liked and cut what I didn't.
    The thing I had to work on the most was the start and the ending. The part between was pretty solid in comparrison. Originally the start gave too much away as it's not a linear narrative. So I changed the ending then matched the beginning.
    Me constantly changing the ending and beginning went on for a few drafts until I settled on the ones I liked and that worked thematically.
    The next step was (oh boy my favourite) editing! And editing again, and again, and again. I went through a lot of phases of editing which mostly was just me rewriting it and rereading it constantly to change words that didn't fit or phrases I didn't like. This was probably the bulk of my time. In my opinion, editing's the most important part because all first/second/third drafts are trash, no exceptions (unless you're someone amazing like Daphne du Maurier).
    This entire process probably took me about thirteen hours-ish. I had a super busy day so literally none of this was easy to time as I was doing stuff in the morning with my coffee, totally not during a lecture I should've been paying attention for, and inbetween busy periods. I couldn't really sit down to write until about 6pm which was now 6 hours ago. I did a lot of the work yesterday (my birthday) which was a lot of fun. So yeah, I'm guessing about 10-13 hours. I really hope everyone enjoyed the read and hope I did Annie the justice she damn deserves.

• Possums