Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017 Riot Creative Contest 2017 - Illustration

[Riot Creative Contest 2017] Overlord Malzahar

Oh boy I really did screw up this time, didn't I? :D I'm gonna post my thing anyway, maybe I can still get some feedback.

'Tis where I'm at and I'm more than ready to call it done.

This piece is actually my second attempt, since halfway through the first one I realised I didn't like it. What can ya do, it happens.

Ref board, didn't use most of it in the second try

And a sketch of Mal to the right because the difference between the splash and the model is huuuuge. I like the model more tho.

Thumbnails. Not very pretty but I was still recovering from the realisation it was mid January and I had just scrapped my entry.

And here are the old ones, since I recycled quite a bit

Sketch

I have nightmares like this, starting over and over again and never finishing anything. Oh wait

looking at it again, I should've kept more of the particles... hmmm....

Aaaand here's some stuff from the old one as I try to justify to myself dropping it and starting over

Honestly, the end result is nothing to be too proud of, but I'm way happier with it than with where the other one was going. If nothing else the evil tower in the background was worth re-doing it. Also if you haven't played Overlord (the game this concept is based on), I highly recommend it, it's very charming.