Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] [UE4] Tales From the Loop fan art

sharpened
null
I've been wanting to do a Simon Stalenhag scene in UE4 for a while, I got his book "Tales From the Loop" this Christmas and devoured it. I decided to start modeling this abandoned robot in the Mojave desert, this is the area where Mangus travels when he passes through to the U.S. through an echo sphere.  I'm 4 days into this project, just a few hours a day.

Here's a link to the original painting I'm rebuilding

Trying to focus on materials, I just got a license for substance after using Quixel for a couple years. The metal and paint on the robot is made of a 4 - layer vertex color blend, so I can use one material for the entire robot and maintain a high resolution across the meshes.

Still deciding on scope of this project and might eventually include a landscape.  I haven't interpreted anything outside from the original artwork at this point, and still have not finished many details. I intend to finish this robot and immediate surroundings in full 360.  Hoping to eventually put it in marmoset.

The following is the prop Lit in UE4

Unlit 

Lighting Only

Current UE4 Robot Material.  
I made masks and a few base materials in substance designer and used them to create variation when repeating, and assigning some material control to vertex colors.