Home Career & Education

..... review

Replies

• JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Look at the What are you working on 2018 thread.

Compare your work to the very best that is posted on each page. If it matches it, post it. If it doesn't, keep working on it until it does.

Don't get too focused on time, only think about the results. It doesn't matter if you spend 8 months vs 2 months, if the final result is just a cube. Pick something you know you'll like, work on it all the time, then look at link I posted and again, if you caught up to that level, it will finally motivate you to post your work and then get started on another project of equal or better quality.

In a way, think of it exactly as a contest. There's, gold, silver and bronze. You would want a gold trophy all the time right? But you know you have to put in all your effort to get it. But the reward would be worth.
  • BittaSingh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BittaSingh triangle
    JordanN said:
    Look at the What are you working on 2018 thread.

Compare your work to the very best that is posted on each page. If it matches it, post it. If it doesn't, keep working on it until it does.

that is a good way for motivation :) .  i have posted in that thread ( wips obviously  :P )  . And yessss i want the gold  :smiley: . thank you for this motivation  man , thank you so much . :smiley: . i almost posted this on artstation  :P btw hows it ?   now i wont   :smile: 
  • BittaSingh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BittaSingh triangle
    @JordanN i posted it  .  :/ . next project i do will be the gold one :)https://www.artstation.com/bitta_singh
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's some general feedback:

Overall this is a bit boring, the muscle structure, proportions and silhouette make him look like a boring, regular dude. Do some research into more heroic proportions and muscle structure to really push the hero aspect of this.

The texture work is very simple and plain, What material is the yellow-ish gold supposed to be? Should it be some sort of metallic paint? It doesn't look metallic if that was your intention. Spend some time researching material properties, it seems like your approach is more "coloring" than really defining materials.

As far as the presentation, well, you haven't worked on this aspect at all! It's a t-pose on a flat background with flat lighting. You really need to push harder in this aspect, it's really easy to pass your work up otherwise. Pose him in a heroic pose, spend some time getting better at lighting, picking camera angles, do something interesting with the background, etc. Give him a base or a small micro environment to add context to the presentation.

I think at this point you don't need to rush to start new projects, you need to work on learning how to finish the ones you have started to a high level. I hope this helps.
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    The actor is a pretty slender chap so it is challenging to properly capture his proportions. Make sure you line him up with a good reference.
    A lot of his heroism should be apparent when you pose him though.
    Here are two collectible figures of the Flash, might help with defining proportions further.

https://www.marvelous.toys/products/koto-tachyonflash
    http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=FIGURE-029084&page=top/search/list?s_keywords=flash$pagemax=40$getcnt=0$pagecnt=2

• slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    I'm in agreement with Joe, work harder at each piece and don't worry about moving on to the next one.  At this rate, you are going to end up with a portfolio full of half finished mediocre pieces when you could have had a good portfolio with several really strong pieces.  If you need motivation, here it is:  Would you rather impress someone to get a job with 2 amazing portfolio pieces or be passed up completely with 6 mediocre ones?  The otherr side of motivation is just picking themes that you know will motivate you to the end.  We ALL end up having projects that never get finished but it's important to finish SOME of them to a very high quality.  To keep things a bit more fluid, you could alternate between full characters and busts.  Busts will take far less time but you can still learn how to do new things by trying complex character designs, etc.
  • BittaSingh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BittaSingh triangle
    Here's some general feedback:

Overall this is a bit boring, the muscle structure, proportions and silhouette make him look like a boring, regular dude. Do some research into more heroic proportions and muscle structure to really push the hero aspect of this.

The texture work is very simple and plain, What material is the yellow-ish gold supposed to be? Should it be some sort of metallic paint? It doesn't look metallic if that was your intention. Spend some time researching material properties, it seems like your approach is more "coloring" than really defining materials.

As far as the presentation, well, you haven't worked on this aspect at all! It's a t-pose on a flat background with flat lighting. You really need to push harder in this aspect, it's really easy to pass your work up otherwise. Pose him in a heroic pose, spend some time getting better at lighting, picking camera angles, do something interesting with the background, etc. Give him a base or a small micro environment to add context to the presentation.

I think at this point you don't need to rush to start new projects, you need to work on learning how to finish the ones you have started to a high level. I hope this helps.
    wow , that is really constructive , thank you for your feedback and time  . i  will work on it . anatomy is really challenging and everything else  is noob level .  that yellow ish gold was suppose to be metallic on chest but shiny plastic type material on clothes and shoes , and i did both wrong . as for presentation i dont know p about presentation , i will  work on it too , base is a good idea . i will do that too .  actually i ran into some  map related problems  , i have been reading alot of your threads  on texturing  and i  guess my basics were not correct when uvd  so my maps got messed up in maya , thats why i gave up on it  , this is the post where i was updating this work and problems  ( my normal  and curvature  and position map were getting seams and i could not find out why , now i know i did not uvd it properly   ) http://polycount.com/discussion/196704/cw-flash-barry-allen-sculpt#latest
      thank you soo much  for your feedback . i will work on it then  move to next project  .
  • BittaSingh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BittaSingh triangle
    NikhilR said:
    The actor is a pretty slender chap so it is challenging to properly capture his proportions. Make sure you line him up with a good reference.
    A lot of his heroism should be apparent when you pose him though.
    Here are two collectible figures of the Flash, might help with defining proportions further.

https://www.marvelous.toys/products/koto-tachyonflash
    http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=FIGURE-029084&page=top/search/list?s_keywords=flash$pagemax=40$getcnt=0$pagecnt=2

thank you for these references  ,  here is one reference   which i have been using for this   
    i was going for likeness and  you are right  its challenging to make slender hero     , but the reference  clear up that thought . i'll research  more  on it . 
  • BittaSingh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BittaSingh triangle
    slosh said:
    I'm in agreement with Joe, work harder at each piece and don't worry about moving on to the next one.  At this rate, you are going to end up with a portfolio full of half finished mediocre pieces when you could have had a good portfolio with several really strong pieces.  If you need motivation, here it is:  Would you rather impress someone to get a job with 2 amazing portfolio pieces or be passed up completely with 6 mediocre ones?  The otherr side of motivation is just picking themes that you know will motivate you to the end.  We ALL end up having projects that never get finished but it's important to finish SOME of them to a very high quality.  To keep things a bit more fluid, you could alternate between full characters and busts.  Busts will take far less time but you can still learn how to do new things by trying complex character designs, etc.
    i agree too , you are  right i already have some mediocre pieces , i want to make  a gold one :)  .  thank you for your feedback  and motivation . i will work on it more .