Home Career & Education

Is concept design a good skill to have first?

MitchNew
vertex
Offline / Send Message
MitchNew vertex
Would it be better to learn Concept design before delving into Modeling and texturing?

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Depends on what you're doing.

If you're modeling and texturing from your own ideas and want to get better at concept design yourself, yes.

If you're modeling and textuing from other people's concepts, no.
  • MitchNew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MitchNew vertex
    What would be a good source to learn how to make concept designs? mine sorta look cruddy, like a 10 year olds drawings lol.
    I looked around and kinda find it difficult to find something that doesn't put me to sleep and doesn't really demonstrate the process on making a good and real concept design along with teaching the principles. I know the basics as well.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you though?  Without some evidence of your own work, it'd be hard for us to make a judgment call.

That being said, assuming your own concepts look like crud, it sounds like it would be best for you to dive into more academically driven foundational courses and study?  Studying old painting masters, still life drawings, figure drawing, etc.  before solely focusing on concept art.
  • MitchNew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MitchNew vertex
    This is some of the most recent stuff I've made, I made a model based off one of my concepts, got some advice on how to improve the model and make its form/silhouette more interesting.
    The one of the Silhouettes are a few hammers I concepted, I got stuck mostly cause I wasn't sure about lighting, I was trying to concept similar to how Marc Brunet does in some of his videos about concept design, and that's how I'd like to go about making concept designs... I wasn't sure how to visualize the rest of the hammers, how light might bounce off them and such.
    Personally I think the hammers are the best I've done for concepts, and the model is the furthest I've gotten from using my own personal concept.
    I know how to shade a sphere along with giving it a rim light, I know how to shade cylinders and cubes. I'm okay when it comes to shading in pencil, I have no insecurities about that.

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see.  The good thing is definitely there's more to learn and get better at with the concept art.

You can learn concept design while modeling at the same time, but I'd recognize the tradeoff you're possibly making off with the effort.
  • MitchNew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MitchNew vertex
    Where do you think I should start improving?
    And what do you mean recognize the tradeoff? I feel like if I can design better concepts and finish them with lighting and detail, I can make better models and textures, I feel putting more effort towards Concept design will be a good benefit.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The literal time you spend doing 2D wortk is time you're not spernding anywhere else.

I think you should really do foundational fine arts studies.
  • MitchNew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MitchNew vertex
    Should I go to a school for that?
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you want.  I have a suspicion a lot of this can be done on your own free time, but that depends on how much discipline you have.
  • MitchNew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MitchNew vertex
    If it would help me do better, I'll do it.
    I feel like there's this path every professional artist has followed to some degree to get where they are, but I've allowed myself to not follow that path and just wander around aimlessly and become distracted.

Where would you suggest learning Foundational Fine arts as a school and/or online?
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    "I feel like there's this path every professional artist has followed to some degree to get where they are, but I've allowed myself to not follow that path and just wander around aimlessly and become distracted."

No, that's a false dichotomy. There is no set path to get there as people in this field come from very different backgrounds, and that includes a lot of self-taught people.

"Becoming distracted easily" is something only you can solve.