Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017 Riot Creative Contest 2017 - Narrative

[WIP] Clement Sun

The raiders were coming close.

In his short 9 years of life, the young Aspasia had never been so scared before. Her short legs could only make her run so fast. The only reason her pursuers didn't had grabbed her yet, was because everytime an arrow landed right next to the spot where she had stopped, or tripped, the fear gave her new strenght.

The tears didn't allow her to see clearly. Soon she only could make apart the enormous pieces of rubble at the feet of the mountain, between which she was trying to hide, and the light of the sun, blinding her even more. Until she suddenly realized, that the sun wasn't coming up from behind the horizon. The sun just came from behind the rocks in front of her.

She suddenly ran smack against something metalic, but warn like the grass on a summer day. Then, she felt a strong but comforting armored hand patting her head.

"Sorry, little one. I didn't saw you."

Aspasia wiped her tears. Before her, standed a tall woman, even more beautiful than her big sister. She remembered the armor the woman was wearing from the seasonal pilgrim with her family to the Temple of the Solstice. The tall woman was a Ra'horak. A sacred warrior of the Solari. But something was different about her. Her golden armour seemed to irradiate with it's own light, just like that fire like long hair. But still, she irradiated a welcoming warmth like the one of a spring sunshine.

The comforting smile of the solari soon transformed in a worried look. She kneeled before Aspasia, and stroke her cheek with her armored hand, that felt as warming as her mother embrace.

"Poor girl. You are a mess. Who did this to you?"

Overcoming fear for a moment, Aspasia wasn't sure to what to do. But when the woman raised the head to look at something behind Aspasia, the fear came back to her.

When the girl saw the arrows flying towards her, she instinctively took shelter in the unknown warrior-templar, and embraced her. She felt surrounded by a comforting light, hearing the arrows hit, but not feeling the pain she should.

When she opened the eyes again, saw that the beautiful golden shield the Ra'horak carried with her had protected them. When the woman stood again, Aspasia saw the broken arrows over the rock floor. In the beautiful face of her savior, now there was only resolution, hammering the gaze of her eyes like ashes into the coming raiders, scaring even Aspasia.

But when the woman looked at the girl again, a warm smile and endearing gaze covered her face again.

"You have been very brave." said the Ra'horak petting her head. "But now I need you to do something for me. Hide behind the rocks, close your eyes, and cover your ears. Come out when I call you, and I promise to help you find your family."

Before the sincere concern of the woman, Aspasia couldn't help but to smile, and nod.

"That's more like it." the woman said before her eyes became burning ashes again, looking at the men walking towards them. "Now run! Go!"

Aspasia did so without looking back. Only once she thought was away enough, did she climb over the giant rock behind she was hiding, and look over to see how the woman was.

She and the men weren't fighting. For now, with all their weapons in hand, they only talked. She couldn't make apart what the men were exactly saying, but the calm and powerful voice of the woman resonated over the valley.

Soon, the armour of the warrior woman started glimmering even with more strenght. Aspasia understood that this what the moment for doing what the woman asked. She took shelter behind the rock, closed her eyes, and covered her ears.

Even if her eyes were closed, suddenly she saw a bright like, that hurted them like staring directly into the sun would do. Also, she heared a great roar, like the one of a thunder during a storm, that would had left her deaf should had she not covered her ears. 

She awaited a couple of minutes in that position, trembling with fear. Until she felt that warm hand over her head again.

"It's all right." the woman said to her, with a comforting smile. "These men are gone. Now, guide me to your village, and I will accompany you there. They may also need our help"

Apasia nodded, and took her hand. When they came from behind the rock, the only things that were different to before, were a patch of burned ground where the raiders stood moments ago, and a circular opening in the clouds above them.