Home Career & Education

Leave permanent job for a chance to break in?

grand marshal polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
I've recently been in contact with a recruiter here in Vancouver, who specializes in the video game side of the industry. I gave him my resume and portfolio and he said he would help me locate work. I have a lot of love for recruitment agencies; it's how I got basically all of my jobs in the last 5'ish years. They usually get you contract work, and if you do really well, the companies usually want to keep you on. It's great because you get to work with the company for a short time, figure out if you like it, and if/when they offer you the position, you get to accept or reject.

Before I continue, I'll point out that currently I have a more-than decent full time job, not in 3D or games. The recruiter contacted me again today to discuss a contract position which came up. It's at a very large AAA company. However, it's not an art role, and it's a short term contract. 6 weeks, and in an organizational role, somehow managing work for artists and game designers. That's as much detail as he provided me with. He did say there was a possibility to extend, which is pretty cool.

So on one hand, I'd get to work for a AAA studio for a bit, gain loads of contacts, and at least say that I've worked on a game. I'm always looking for the opportunity to finally break into the industry and I'm a decent risk taker. I'm a pretty good guy to work with, so making employers want to take me on permanently has happened a lot in the past.

On the other hand, it would require me leaving my permanent job, and the contract is only for 6 weeks, plus its not even art related. The pay would probably be a decent drop as well.

I'm leaning towards a no, but I want other's opinions on it.

Replies

• PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    I personally wouldnt do it. I would continue working your decent paying job and then cranking on your portfolio from 7/9pm-1am every day after work. That will get you much closer to your goal of getting hired on as an artist doing something you would actually enjoy.

a 6 week contract isnt much and won't look very good on the resume even. What I would do is look at 2 juicy studios (maybe the coaliton or EA burnaby who is making the new star wars game) and create a couple portfolio pieces tailored towards them. Maybe a star wars environment and a gears of war one from one of the hundreds of pieces of awesome concept art out there. 

right now what you are suggesting is kinda similar to going and joining a QA team as a tester and hoping that will get you in, when in reality, the only thing that matters for art jobs is your portfolio, which needs some more content. A couple more fully fleshed out environments would be your biggest win in terms of getting closer to breaking in. Hope this helps :)
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    If you got a huge amount of personal savings in the bank where money is no issue, I would do it. It's true 6 weeks is short, but that's still 6 weeks of seeing day to day operations of how a game studio functions, which is perfect for taking down notes. That is, unless they lock you in the basement and forbid you from making eye contact with the other developers. No studio is that heavy handed.... right?
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Yea, don't do it.  If it's not art related, don't bother.  As pixel mentioned, keep making solid consistent money and work on your folio.  Sure that gig could get extended but you're still not doing art.  And if it ends in 6 months, what have you got?  Stable money is hard to come by and if you aren't hating what you're doing and you have time after work to do your folio, that's much better thank taking a risk for a non art, contract job.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

Yeah a no brainer really...so I'll have to agree with PixelMasher and Slosh, jeopardising a steady well paid FT job for...

Ashervisalis wrote:

So on one hand, I'd get to work for a AAA studio for a bit, gain loads of contacts, and at least say that I've worked on a game.

On the other hand, it would require me leaving my permanent job, and the contract is only for 6 weeks, plus its not even art related. The pay would probably be a decent drop as well.

...with respect seems a tad too risky. Anyway remain where you are for the time being, after all you are centrally located to take advantage of other opportunities that might come along in the future.    

• ToffeeApple
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ToffeeApple polycounter lvl 8
    Yeah I'd say that was too risky also and 6 weeks is really not long enough to get much out of it - that's not long enough to develop industry contacts or make an impression. I've known people to work several years in QA before they were considered to be moved to the art team. Also - in other industries short contracts may often lead to something more long-term but I think in the games industry they will often take people on for just a short period to get a specific project done. As you have been told it's 6 weeks that's very indicative that it will probably only last that or maybe a few extra weeks otherwise the employer would have said 3 months or 6 months if they were thinking it could be more permanent or long term. Once the job is done then the contract ends and you'll find yourself in a difficult situation.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    sounds like a production co-ordinator/assistant role, which can be a first step to a producer job several years down the line. Even though it sounds like you'd be working directly with the art dept, you're likely to be far too busy with your own stuff to soak up any real art process (production assistants traditionally get an absolute shedload of shit to deal with) and 6 weeks is nowhere near long enough to open doors as ToffeeApple says. Its barely sounds like enough to really get to grips with the project, so its likely just the worst kind of monkeywork. I wouldn't.
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    I think it depends on how much you're willing to risk for a chance at some role game dev, not that you have to.
    Depends on your savings and priorities. No guarantee that you will be transitioned to an artist role after QA even with a great portfolio, though it does improve your chances.
    Where you stand currently on your artwork also has relevance to how quickly you can transition into the art side.
    From your current portfolio I take it that you're aiming for surfacing/props/environments?
    Good idea to have your portfolio assessed by a senior fulltime in that role and work out a strategy to develop your portfolio further.
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Thanks guys, I'll decline the offer. I'll probably let him know I'll leave my current job for an art role and 6 months contract minimum. I couldn't really figure out if this was an opportunity or if I would be screwing myself over, so it was great hearing what you guys had to say.

@NikhilR Yeah, I'm going for environments and props. I've contacted a few professionals who've given me tips and advice on progressing my portfolio.

Appreciate everybody's input!