Home Career & Education

Aspiring 3D vehicle artist.

null
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
StarKingX null
Hi, my name is Shantanu. I live in Bangalore, KA, India. I want to become a 3D Vehicle artist or a hard surface artist. I need help. I've just turned 29 and I'm out of a job. I've done my Advanced Diploma in Animation via Animaster, Bangalore. They did not deliver on their promise. This course costed about Rs. 3.75 Lacks or $5896.67 for 3 years. Then I joined AIGA, Bangalore. This costed about Rs. 2.80 Lacks or $4,400.31 for a year. This also did not deliver on its promise. Then I worked for HPE for 2.7 years as I did not have a good enough portfolio ready to show. So please tell me what I need to do now.  I want to know a path that I need to follow.

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    What were these promises exactly?

Are you currently working on any vehicles at the moment?

Can you share ust he work you have at the moment? It would help us evaluate a lot better where you're at.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Nvm, found it:
    https://starkingx.artstation.com/

Well, I guess right now, you should be working on making game-ready assets for your portfolio.  Assets that are rendered with full material fideltiy in game engines or real-time renderers.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is a pretty common sentiment, and something a lot of students coming out of school have to learn the hard way. Going to a game art program isn't a garuntee that you'll get a job. You really have to put in the work to get your skills up to industry standard. Going to school can teach you the basics of the process and the tools, but it's up to you to get your work to the next level. There's no replacement for buckling down and putting in the hard work until you're at that level. If you need to, get a part time job to pay the bills and work on your portfolio in your free time.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    everything hinges on your portfolio. if your goal is to get a job making vehicles, you need to be spending a large chunk of time each day actually doing that. You shouldn't focus on others not delivering on their promises, that will just hold you back and take the responsibility of consistently producing new work off your own shoulders.

basically, just sit down for 4-8 hours a day and make vehicles until you are amazing at it. That is what will get you the job in the long run. 

edit: EQ beat me to the punch ;)