Home Career & Education

Is it possible to say no to work overtime, and still keep the job?

Boyani
vertex
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Boyani vertex
During my experience as software developer, i had couple of times from me to work overtime, which i know that i will not will be payed.I kinda find the strength and good reason to not work overtime, but still finish everything in 8h work a day, maybe sometimes 9h and half. For doing that, i find top managers really respect me and my decision, and never ever let them down, for not meeting a deadline or whatever i was tasked for.

But, i always wanted to work in video games or VFX or maybe both, and create something. Since, i left software engineering, i started learning 3D, every day for 10h, and i feel exhausted  every next day. And, i started to ask more people, from Linkedin and ArtStation about crunching, everyone have own opinion, but they all say i should i avoid studios that practice too much crunch time. I have no idea which one to avoid:D

Have you sometimes refused to do overtime? What was your manager reaction, and what happened  next?
Can i do that, and still keep the job?
Can i negotiate before sign a contract, how many hours to work, before sign?
I hope i did not offended someone.

Replies

• PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    saw this on facebook the other day. Pretty spot on.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBNHvx8Vc6M

long story short, you should do what you are comfortable with and make no apologies about having a life outside of work. People holding the fact some others have a life or families outside of work is a great recipe for creating a toxic work environment, and a horrible company culture.

I have been lucky to have worked at studios that embrace work/life balance and haven't run into this issue in the 10+ years I have worked in the industry, and after a certain point I pretty much stopped working unpaid overtime. No one has ever said a word about it. Usually top level management is leaving the office by 5-6 regardless. If your fellow co-workers are gossiping about you leaving after your 8 hours or whatever, that's on them, and actual supportive friends and colleagues (aka the ones who matter) wont do this.

Glassdoor can give you a good insight into a bunch of aspects of a studio, like average pay, company culture, and any other issues people have experienced. Do your research before joining a studio and know what you are getting into.
  • Boyani
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyani vertex
    Thank you Pixel :) Very appreciate your advice. Do you think Glassdoor is relevant? I know pretty much everyone can register on the site and write a review.
    Can you mention where did you worked that is good for work/life balanced?maybe pm-me, if you don't want to write here:)
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    I'm very skeptical of crunch.
    You get hired in the game industry based on how good your portfolio is, not by the amount of time facing a computer screen.

So where's the trade off in working 70-80 hour shifts but then having no time for yourself to work on your portfolio? Especially if a layoff happens and you're back job hunting.

Someone's gotta put their foot down and say enough is enough, I need to get sleep.

It's just the unfortunate nature of the industry where artists can be replaced in an instant. As well as actual wages themselves are not going up while cost of living skyrockets. So people wont speak up when their only source of putting food an on the table and having a shelter is gone.