Home Marmoset

Advanced Skeleton -> Marmoset | Facerig glitch

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
reignbeox polycounter lvl 6
Hello people.

I've got a little problem here which I can't figure out.

So here's a character which I rigged with Advanced Skeleton 5.420. 
Bodyrig as well as facerig. No corrective blend shapes.
The animation was made within Maya without the use of further add ons nor scripts.

Here's the catch. The .fbx export to unreal works as desired. No jittering, no glitches.

However Marmoset can't take the animation correctly. "Base Pose (None)" is alright but "Take 001" is glitchy right from frame 0.

I reimported the .fbx back into Maya - no problems. 
I deleted the history in Maya before exporting.
I baked the Animation before exporting.

I could imagine it having something to do with the facerig but it's so weird that only Marmoset can't handle the .fbx.

Really hope somebody that somebody can help me out here
Screenshots of the glitch

Cheers,

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Base pose? I wonder if that is talking about the bind pose? Maybe some bones don't have it set or the bind pose is corrupt.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-create-a-new-bindPose-s.html

You might want to delete any duplicate bindposes. You can see them in the outliner if you turn off DAG Objects under display. Search for bind* and delete any that you see, then run through the steps on that page.
  • ryanroye
    Offline / Send Message
    ryanroye polycounter lvl 4
    Have you considered exporting alembic? Not only is it much more efficient and reliable concerning mesh operations, but you'll find playback performance is far superior in Marmoset Toolbag since its not processing bone data (which you can't edit there anyways).

The only downside with alembic is that it doesn't support materials, in which case you'd need to import an FBX first to get the materials loaded in, then apply those materials to the alembic mesh.
  • EarthQuake
    If this loads correctly in Unreal but not Toolbag there may be some sort of bug. Please send me a .FBX file and I will log it in our bug system.

Alembic (ABC) is an option if you can't manage to get this to work. Contrary to what Ryan states, ABC is generally less efficient because it uses vertex animation (which can be very inefficient especially with dense meshes) rather than skeletal animation. For game engine targeted rigs FBX is usually the best choice. However, if you're having issues with FBX or if you're trying to do something FBX doesn't support like cloth simulation, ABC is a generally a good choice.

@ryanroye ABC files should support materials, if you've got a specific file that is not loading materials correctly please send me a copy so we can log it.