Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Feedback Wanted! Sci-fi Corridor, The USS Li

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
soldierguy97 polycounter lvl 7
Let me know what ya think! More images and breakdown here: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/E5Jl8

Replies

• soldierguy97
    Offline / Send Message

Another angle.
  • soldierguy97
    Offline / Send Message
    Menchen said:
    Looking good, seeing how those "lower areas" have in fact functionality (carrying crates and boxes) is a nice touch. However I would suggest some tips:
    • The excessive use of that bright orange hurts my eyes. Having a complementary colour pallete (don't know if that was intentional, but still on point) is nice, but ONLY using those colours throws the scene away as it gives no area in the image to rest your eyes. Add more neutral colored areas like gray-colored metals or such. I would lower that orange saturation anyways. Its not bad to have a bright, distinguishable accent color, but as an accent rather than a base color of your composition.
    • Those bright blue lights usually employed in sci fi scenarios look cool, but over excessive use of them (specially on the top area) throws the look away, and because they are so noticeable, they somehow make the repetition of the modular assets way more noticeable.
    • The scene looks way too dark, despite being lots of lights there. I would say to add some ambient lightning (like with a cubemap or a simple ambient color), increase the exposure with post processing and maybe even switch the spotllights for point lights (your light objects are flat yet they only project light to the floor, leaving the upper areas of the wall unlightened.
    • Tone down vignette, get rid of that instagram-filter tonemapping, as said, the scene is saturated enough.
    All very good points! Thank you! Was playing around with colors and the orange just stuck with me, but yea something to balance it out would be nice. Yep the repetition of the lights is a problem, ill try to hide or turn off a few in some way. The contrast in lighting and that instagram filter effect was me adding a color correction LUT that I liked in photoshop and asked a few people what they thought of different ones that I chose and the best response was with this one, but yeah there were some other ones I could try or the ambient lighting like you said. Thanks for the awesome tips!