Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

I created a game in 2 days! (Video)

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
EliasWick polycounter lvl 9
Hi,
I spent 2 days last week to create my very first game. I wanted to force myself to learn unreal engine 4 and it's Paper 2d Plugin.
The game title is Quadrate and is a simple side-scroller where the objective is to go from A to B. The game has 25 levels total.
I will be adding gameplay footage to the YouTube channel tomorrow.

I have shortened down the video from 40 + hours to 30 minutes and added commentary to all the necessary parts.
Special thanks to @Obscura who helped me solve the collision problem!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_LDba6mci8

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Hey! First of all, thanks for the mention. I am also doing similar "experiments" and "few-days games" though... I did not watch the whole video, but i skipped through it  a few times, and I saw the part where you define which level to load. I think that could have been done better, by just using a name or string for the level instead of defining each individual load. Anyways, unfortunately I don't feel like GD neither tech talk is a good place for this kind of posts , because they clearly have very littly audience when it comes to highly technical topic. Shame. This is also much less artistic at least in your example, compared to "real art" here. Even though this is not the point of it, which I totally get and you could reskin, add anything etc. I think wannabe game developers should start like this, and it is mainly targeted towards them, but from experience, I would say they usually think too big without knowing what it actually means. And later the whole thing just collapses because of this.

Maybe do a one week one now, or something even bigger, but not anything out of your league.
  • EliasWick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura said:
    Hey! First of all, thanks for the mention. I am also doing similar "experiments" and "few-days games" though... I did not watch the whole video, but i skipped through it  a few times, and I saw the part where you define which level to load. I think that could have been done better, by just using a name or string for the level instead of defining each individual load. Anyways, unfortunately I don't feel like GD neither tech talk is a good place for this kind of posts , because they clearly have very littly audience when it comes to highly technical topic. Shame. This is also much less artistic at least in your example, compared to "real art" here. Even though this is not the point of it, which I totally get and you could reskin, add anything etc. I think wannabe game developers should start like this, and it is mainly targeted towards them, but from experience, I would say they usually think too big without knowing what it actually means. And later the whole thing just collapses because of this.

Maybe do a one week one now, or something even bigger, but not anything out of your league.
    Thank you very much, yeah It was hard trying to find a place for this video here on Polycount. Thank you criticising the blueprint. I noticed that I had one unused variable whilst editing the video as well. Forcing it to be under 2 days was really a challenge, now that I have a "better" grasp on how blueprints are created and understand how the Save Game object works, I feel that I can try something a bit bigger. I have multiple unfinished projects because I was thinking too big.

One last thing... the game was really simple in terms of getting from A to B. Creating things like, traps, launchers, simple enemies or just moving platforms would have made the game a lot better... and as you mentioned, the graphics are very simplistic. But you have got to start somewhere huh? :)
  • EVF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVF polycounter lvl 3
  • Archduke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Archduke null
    I've been using Paper2D for the past 6 months, and it's quite the finicky beast. Definitely cool that you got this going in such a short time.
  • EliasWick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVF said:
    nice job bro!
    Thank you so much!
  • EliasWick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Archduke said:
    I've been using Paper2D for the past 6 months, and it's quite the finicky beast. Definitely cool that you got this going in such a short time.
    Oh thank you @Archduke, it really means a lot! By the way, have you had troubles with the texture being tinted yellow in the TileMap? Anyhow, if you do... I quickly made a video on how you can solve that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODvogDILb3c

• EliasWick
  • Finnn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finnn greentooth
    Really inspiring stuff. I also want to make my own games and your approach makes alot of sense. Starting simple. Learning the basics is the only way to open doors to more advanced stuff.
    Also finishing a game is a good start. ;D
    Next 2 weeks I have my exams, after that I have loads of free time. I will also try to create a game and learn UE4.
    Your video was very helpful, using sheets to layout your game is a good idea.
    Keep content like this coming. It's very helpful!