Home Technical Talk

[3ds Max] Insert Vertex with interpolated vertex normal?

Hi, I am doing some low poly model modification, but this problem has stuck me for very long time. When I insert vertex on the edge or face, the vertex normal on the new vertex use the face normal direction instead of interpolated normal direction. This give me smooth problem on rounded face.

I use very low poly sphere to amplified this problem.

After insert vertex, the smooth problem come out.

As you can see all inserted vertex on the edge use face normal direction.

Is there any option or script to calculate for interpolated normal direction by nearby vertex normal after insert vertex?

Replies

• SebastianBielecki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SebastianBielecki polycounter lvl 4
    Have you tried 'edit normals' modifier? You can set there a lot of parameters - unify is one of them. Don't know if it will help you though :)
  • SDL22CU
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually I have already try many thing in edit normal modifier, unify normals can be able to fix some of other models which originally have some breaked normal on some original exist vertices (like picture below).

(Twinke Masta's AN/PVS-4 from gamebanana)

And here is the actual model modification I am working on, it is extend ImBrokeRu's SCAR-H to Mk17SPR without add another textures.

Up: Original model(You can download from here); Down: Mk17SPR

The problem I encounter:

Wireframe.

Anyway, thank you for for reply, but unfortunately unify normal doesn't do the job in this case.