Home Technical Talk

Maya - Black articles on large objects

alexrc
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
alexrc interpolator
Hi, I am having an issue with making a large corridor in Maya. I am attempting to make a room that is about 16 meters across, however with these large objects, I am getting weird artifacts such as black triangles across the mesh whenever I zoom out.

Whenever I zoom in, I am still getting a nasty black line around it. I have added some screenshots. I have attemped to adjust my clipping planes but they are not doing anything. whenever the mesh is smaller, I do not get those artifacts even when zooming out, it only seems to happen on the large objects. This is just a primitive cube.

I have tried unlocking and setting the normals to face but nothing has worked so far. Any help would be appreciated

Another interesting issue Im having is that I cannot even open up my camera attribute editor from the view panel. I have to go into my preferences. Otherwise it simply wont open if I click it.

Replies

• TTools
    Offline / Send Message
    TTools polycounter lvl 4
    @alexrc
    I think you're experiencing broken anti-aliasing.  That would explain why the artifacts are larger at distance, and smaller when zoomed in.  I was able to minimally reproduce something a little similar when I changed my viewport rendering from OpenGL to DirectX11.  
    Can you see if you are running DX11 in your settings, and if so, try switching to OpenGL?
    You'll have to restart Maya before the change takes effect.

If that doesn't work, see if enabling multi-sample anti-aliasing on the viewport toolbar has any effect.

If neither of those work, I would take a look at the anti-aliasing application settings in my video card control panel.
    Hope this helps and leads you to the solution :smile:

• TTools
    Offline / Send Message
    TTools polycounter lvl 4
    @alexrc
    I need to retract my post.  It's not anti-aliasing.  I'm pretty sure it's your near clip.  When I created a cube 5000x5000x5000, I got artifacts as you are describing until I changed my camera near clip to around 10,000 which fixed the issue.
    If it was anti-aliasing, you would be seeing it on small objects too, and not just large ones.